Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

A tiny little acorn...

edited January 2009 in - Writing Tales
I've had some unexpected success (of a kind) – more a little acorn than a mighty oak!

A few months ago I was in touch with a local magazine with a view to advertising in it myself. I decided not to - the magazine was really a directory. I didn't think it would be read that often - just glanced at and then recycled.

I was regularly contacted to see if I could be tempted to advertise and after Christmas I took a bold step (I must admit this was something I had planned rather coldly, almost from day one).

I told them that I would not consider advertising with them until they had more editorial content. They replied saying they hoped to include some articles in the future, but it was still early days and they needed the advertising revenue to increase before they could finance it.

Sooooo, I offered to write a short article each month. I had two initial ideas:

1. Article highlighting a particular service advertised - accountancy, computer maintenance etc.

2. Review of local live performances for touring shows.

In return for writing one short article I asked for a free advert. They came back straight away and accepted the deal. There is now the suggestion other articles may be commissioned for money - real stuff I can spend!

The articles will be variations on ones I have to write for another magazine - so the research is practically zero. In today's financial climate, the magazine will struggle to succeed - but it could be the beginning of something worthwhile.

The free advert is worth more to me than what I get for articles of this kind. Fingers crossed!

Comments