Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Action-packed book series designed to encourage boys to read

edited January 2009 in - Reading
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationadvice/4146927/Action-packed-book-series-designed-to-encourage-boys-to-read.html

If the books weren't there in the first place, the publishers must take some blame.

Comments

• I thoughts Nuts et al, did this.
  • (Carol covers her eyes and shakes her head in despair) ;)
  • edited January 2009
    Well, she might!

'One, on ants, suggests that if you weighed all the ants in the world they would weigh about as much as all the human beings in the world' - an interesting fact from the link above.
  • Multi-tasking, eh, Carol?
  • Quite normal in my life ;)
  • Hello Carol.
  • Good evening Stan. :)
  • It's so cold here - outside the house I mean.
  • Yes, much colder today too.
  • Snow tomorrow?
  • Doubtful.
  • Too cold for snow?

I think we have strayed from the subject of this thread - boys reading books.
  • The last week of the holidays we went to Waterstones and each came away with books- two were Anthony Horowitz books. Boys do seem to like his stories.
  • He's a good writer.
  • My son was addicted to those game books, you know you choose the next page to take. This was about twenty years ago now oh crikey now I feel old...
    Are these sort of books still around?
  • One of my sons read a few of them about five years ago, but they were not easy to find.
  • Not easy to find - the sons or the books? Don't they sell both in he supermaket. I often see children in shopping trolleys.
  • the choose your own adventure books Kateyanne?! i actually enjoyed those for a while too...

stan- :D

do they really think boys are going to find that story interesting? it sounds so pathetically cliched!
  • Which story?
  • the whole series about "Project X tells the story of four friends, Max, Ant, Tiger and Cat, who try to stop dangerous scientist Dr Evil from shrinking the world."
  • I do think they have got the age a bit wrong- seven maybe, but by nine kids are getting quite sophisticated.
  • The pirate reading series was meant to get boys reading but did it???
  • I fully understand the hope on the part of parents, publishers, teachers etc that boys will want to read (ie the ones who currently don't). But, I don't think I like the idea of hoping they'll become like most girls who, apparently, read because they are told to do so! I'd hope both boys and girls would read out of choice.
  • Agree, that way they continue to read.
  • There's no point in reading if it's not enjoyable.
  • Can't find the forum on Amazon.com now, but someone said Anthony Horowitz was going to be writing a series of books about bisexual teenage boys. Under a different name, though. Anyone else hear this? Any comments? Hmm. I wonder if he's got a website. I wonder if I should have looked there first. I wonder if I should send him any of my books.
  • There's only one thing that will encourage boys to read and that is good, imaginative writing. Also I think fiction publishers forget sometimes that a lot of boys prefer to read non-fiction.
  • Jay, I heard Horowitz was doing some new books, but not the details.