Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

100 novels everyone should read

2»

Comments

• I have read just 17 of the original 100. I must have enjoyed them all or I wouldn't have kept reading them. Oh, I tell a lie. Did not enjoy the Sartre one l'Etranger, which I read in French for some exam or other. Strangely, I DID enjoy l'Immoraliste, with the help of a dictionary.
  • I've done 24 books on that list, although very surprised not to see others up there that I have read.
  • They pretty much feel like the 'obvious' choices don't they?
  • I think you're right, Stirling. Although I do wonder just how many people have actually read Joyce's epic tome?
  • edited August 2009
    I've read Dubliners (enjoyed it - and learned a lot about first and third person), but not Ulysseus. Disappointed that there is no Angela Carter.

I preferred The Woman In White to The Moonstone.
  • Handmaids Tale is nowhere near as good as Alias Grace
  • No Huxley or W. Somerset Maugham...
  • American writers get a very poor look-in. I would be disgusted on behalf of my country's literary heritage.

Oh I forgot about The Moonstone, Stirling. That lifts me to 18.
  • I've read 10 on the list, and have another 15 on my bookshelves. I hadn't heard of a few of them, which bothers me a bit. Am I an illiterate? hahaha!!

*SA*
  • Dwight: "Did not enjoy the Sartre one l'Etranger".

Surely Camus wrote it?
  • I really enjoyed 'L'estranger', though I read the british translation "The Outsider" (the american translates it to "The Stranger"), I ended up doing my Advanced English Dissertation on it in High School. I just absolutely love how it opens.
  • Thanks for that, Jay. So I wonder who wrote 'L'Immoraliste'?

FMT, perhaps I should re-read it in English, and enjoy it. At the time it was a chore.