Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

A school library (article)

edited January 2009 in - Reading
http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/books/article5529861.ece

Comments

• It's good to know some school libraries are still alive and well. I'm sure a lot are, actually - inspite of all the gloom we hear about their demise. My own children's secondary school library is very popular and well resourced.
  • Thanks for that, Jenny. It made me a bit sad. I work in a library for a school that goes from Kindergarten to Year 10. The Primary Library is bright, spacious and well-used but the Secondary Library is also used as a classroom, so innovations are limited and if a student takes a book out, it's a good day. The other assistant and I did some weeding of non-fiction books over 20 years old last year - we probably halved the stock! It's depressing.
  • That is a good point Nena, that is the problem with many libraries, old stock, not enough new books.
  • The library at secondary school, when i was there, was awful, filled with old boring books. The committees refused to spend any money on new books and the librarian was so desperate that she used to buy books with her own money. Pupils were so unused to new books that as soon as they went on the shelf, quite a few would disappear straight away, as in getting stolen. I've visited my old school since then and it's a lot better, regularly furnished with new books. I feel sad though that it wasted so much time, as many of my generation will as a result be unlikely to think anything about reading a book.
  • You can give books in good condition to libraries... we have a Head Librarian in our village and she always takes the unwanted reading group books to the library.
  • edited January 2009
    But the library might simply sell it rather than putting it on their shelves.
  • Unfortunately that does happen.