Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Blemished - but brilliant books

edited January 2009 in - Reading
http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_7858000/7858575.stm

and at the bottom suggestions from viewers/listeners of their own choices...

Comments

• http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/books/article5617607.ece

More from Matthew Parris.
  • http://www.writersnews.co.uk/writers_talkback/comments.php?DiscussionID=64558

Books you would re-write
  • Any other recent books you might suggest?
  • This is very interesting.
  • Stardust comes to mind:

its a teen fantasy but has a erotic scene in the beginning... its not needed
  • The Lovely Bones. I enjoyed it right up to the part when the spirit of the dead girl enters the other girl... the scene really jarred - but in the end I still liked the book!

The Grapes of Wrath. An amazing book of almost unrelenting misery. I knew there could be (or indeed should be) no happy ending... but I kept on hoping!
  • Lord of the RIngs, an absolute blinder of a book, as long as you can get through the first two hundred pages of serious telling not showing. It took me a dozen attempts to actually get to page 211, once I did I couldn't put it down. Talk about a book having to grab you at the start.
  • [quote=Jemma Ash]its a teen fantasy but has a erotic scene in the beginning... its not needed [/quote]

Hmm can't remember that, *goes back off to have a read*
  • There were only a few pages left in the crime novel I was reading with quite a lot still to be resolved and I wondered how the writer was going to do it in such a short space. What did he do? He cheated!

The last chapter took the form of a letter where someone explained it all very quickly. It looked as though the writer had got bored - either that or he was late getting the MS to the publisher!
  • Or he hadn't worked out the end and the letter was convenient... :)
  • Or all three.
  • i really enjoyed LOTR but there were 3 chapters that were just too long and boring:

The Counsel of Elrond
    Treebeard
    Siege of Gondor...

any other chapter i could read again but the 2nd and 3rd time i read LOTR i just skipped those chapters
  • Council of Elrond I always skim read... I probably do with the others but definitely that portion of the book.
  • Never read it.
  • Matthew Parris' article was a very enjoyable read, Jay.
    I'd also change the ending of Captain Corelli's Mandolin.
  • that's odd, I don't find those LOTR chapters boring. Probie, it's probably one of the greatest Quest books ever, IMO.
  • I don't find them boring, I just find that cause I read it (almost) every year I skim read certain points. I didn't find any of the books boring...but I'm a LOTR fanatic lol
    And I agree completely with dorothy about probably the greatest Quest books ever.
  • I want to amend my post! I got a bit carried away with what I was talking about. There is absolutely nothing "blemished" about The Grapes of Wrath (sorry Mr Steinbeck!).

p.s. love LOTR and agree that it's probably the greatest Quest book ever.
  • edited February 2009
    I've tried reading 'Grapes of Wrath' but just can't get into it.