Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

The next celebrity author

edited February 2009 in - Reading
Haven't publishers learnt anything yet...

http://www.thebookseller.com/news/76213-girls-aloud-cole-in-5m-deal-for-romantic-novels.html

Comments

• Somehow, I don't think it's true.
  • Well someone thinks it is...
  • Yeah, but like all GA rumours, 90% of them are false.
  • Agents are sneaky blighters you know . . . tell the press that a certain author has signed a £300,000 contract to get publicity when no such thing has happened.

Can't say I'll be queuing up to read one of her books.

Hands up who thinks they will be ghost-written anyway?
  • I hate to say it but me.
  • Seconded.

I was watching an interview with Andy Murray about his book which was ghost written and he said 'I'm not clever enough to write a book' (which is daft - he is). Wish more Celebrities had that kind of attitude.
  • So do I, and then we wouldn't have to read all this rubbish. Everyone knows these books will be ghost written, and so will the GA 'style Bible' - who in their right mind would want to look like that anyway. Sorry to any of their fans that are on here, but that is not what 'real women' are about. It is a false image of painted ladies.
  • Have to agree- and the ghost writing too.
  • I bet Wayne Rooney and his wife will be the next couple to get a book deal! (Two ghosts needed.)
  • Well Wayne has a book deal- at least he did.
  • Style bible? Are you referring to Dreams That Glitter?
  • Well, as long as the 'celebrities' don't write the books, then there is more work for real writers who do that sort of thing to earn bread in between their real stuff...
  • True........
  • Have any cartoon characters written their autobiographies yet?
  • What are you trying to say?
  • Basil Brush wrote his autobiography a few years ago didn't he?
  • and of course Cheeta the Chimp !
  • Well if it's true that the publishers are prepared to pay out huge sums of cash, for what is probably a load of old rubbish,it can only mean that the credit crunch is not hitting them at all. I suppose that must be a positive thing.
  • The credit crunch is definitely hitting them; many have announced wage freezes.

My suspicion is that this will put a squeeze on debut authors.
  • Yes, you're probably right, Stirling. Where do you get all this info on the publishing world from? Do you subscribe to the Bookseller or another trade magazine?
  • I buy The Bookseller when I can get to Borders. I think it's important to know what is happening in the industry whether editor or writer!

The Times is good as well; and so is HPRW!
  • Always worth looking in the business sections of the main newspapers as items often pop up there too.