Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

The London Book Fair 2009

edited February 2009 in - Reading
http://www.londonbookfair.co.uk/

20th-22nd April 2009. (It's got a dandelion clock on its website. :-) )

Comments

• Is that a coincidence, Jay? ;)
  • I'm going to the Book Fair - anyone else?

I managed to get a book commissioned at the last one (due out in April).
    Hopefully I'll have something near-complete to take along with me (again) this time.
  • Good luck with it.
  • I hadn't even thought about it to be honest - things are so up in the air at the moment, I hardly know from one day to the next what I will be doing.
  • I am going to the How to get Published masterclass at Earls Court on the 18 April which is before the main fair opens. It looks good for £30 with speakers including 3 authors, an editor from Bloomsbury and Simon Trewin, agent.
  • That seminar looks interesting, but unfortunately I have to attend a GCSE examiner training session that day - shame. I am restricted to the three weekdays.
  • I'm at the Book Fair on Tuesday (tomorrow) - anyone else going?
  • Tell us all about it on your return KJ. Have fun.
  • Hmm, i might go, just to see what it looks like, and as a break between exams.
  • Yes, full report on return please KJ!
  • how was the masterclass Viv?
  • i was going to go today, but somehow never got round to buying a train ticket... I have a ticket for today to go though!

I'm a bit wary of going on my own.
  • Hi forget-me-not. The masterclass was well attended. I tried to count seats and it was around 350. Two hours of experts chatting onstage and answering questions from the floor. Enjoyable and informative, but made me very aware of how many unpublished authors are out there! All stressed that authors need passion, patience and stamina, and to be prepared for hard work and a long haul. I guess we all know that but don't like to think about it too much. I have been to the Book Fair before for work, but found it just a glorified exhibition with lots of stands showing new books really, but one where you couldn't buy anything! - you couldn't get to the inner sanctum upstairs to meet agents/publishers one-to-one without a special pass or appointment. Maybe it's changed.
  • Did you go Liz?
    I've just arrived back. A long, tiring yet rewarding day.
  • No... too scared...I'm supposed to travel with someone, and it's a long way for me to go and find I can't walk all of a sudden when I'm on my own... at least in Bristol I kind of know even if my brain isn't working where I can sit down...
  • All those books and you can't buy any, that's painful to think about.
  • KJKJ
    edited April 2009
    For me the reward was to meet with one of my publishers, being asked (enthusiastically) to submit a manuscript and finding a potential publisher for a non-fiction book that is still at concept stage. Hmm plenty to think about. Last year, one of my meetings led to a commission for 'The Greatest Competition Tips in the World'. That book is with the publisher now, waiting, ready to go sometime later this year (originally for release this month).

Not too fussed about not being able to buy books there - I have a huge pile in my study waiting to be read.
  • Good to hear it was so productive.
  • Great stuff, KJ - sounds like the trip paid off.
  • It is just about sinking in now - lots of work needed to, make it all a reality.