Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

My book has led to an all expenses-paid trip to Sweden

edited February 2009 in - Writing Tales
My book "Railwaywomen" (it's the history of women working on the railways from the year 1830 to 2005) found its way somehow (perhaps Amazon?) to the State Railway Museum of Sweden.

They tracked (pun!) me down and yesterday the director invited me to go to Sweden to give a presentation on the history of women working on British railways. Flights, hotels, expenses, interpreter during the conference all provided, plus a personal fee of £500.

When I read the email I almost fell off my chair. Hey - I'm going to Sweden!

A rather "gobsmacked" Helena

Comments

• This is brilliant!
  • congratulations, Helena!
  • edited February 2009
    That is wonderful. Congratulations.
  • That sounds fabulous, Helena. Well done!
  • Congratulations!
  • edited February 2009
    Thanks very much, everyone.

From the sublime to the ridiculous ....

In October I gave a talk to a local history society, agreeing to a measly fee of £30 because I know they don't have that much money. They've never paid me, so today I rang the secretary to ask if maybe the cheque was lost in the post. She said (and you will laugh at this!) "When the talk was finished, you dashed off before we had a chance to pay you." Oh, well that's a good reason for never paying me, isn't it?

Ho ho ho.
  • wow you lucky thing! Hope it goes well.
  • Hi Helena,
    This is wonderful news, well done.
    Do let us know how the trip goes. It all sounds like an exciting time for you.
  • Wonderful and I add my vote for feedback one you return
  • How exciting, Hope everything goes well for you, I'm sure you will enjoy it.
  • What great news, Helena. It just shows you never know what your writing may lead to. Look forward to hearing about your trip on your return. Have you fixed a date yet?
  • Excellent news. Congratulations. Why not build on this by, instead of allowing your book to find its own way into European railway museums, actually approaching some yourself - citing, once you've done it, the Swedish experience. Poland, for example, still has one of the largest timetabled services using steam; there is a museum, I think, in Warsaw.
  • Great news Helena - well done ! Novel excuse (again, no pun) for not paying you ...
  • Well done Helena. Where is our thread on "successess in 2009..."??
  • How fantastic Helena. well done. Have a great time, and as Neil suggests, try and build on it. I'm sooooo envious, but so very, very pleased for you
  • Many congratulations, Helena. (Good suggestion, Neil.)
  • Brilliant news, Helena - well done! :)
  • Well done Helena. I hope that enjoy Sweden, which part are you travelling to?
  • edited February 2009
    Thanks everyone.

Aegean: the museum is in Gavle, north of Stockholm. I've now decided to make a mini-break out of it and will stay in Stockholm for 3 or 4 nights.

Neil: what can I say? I desperately need you here by my side at all times to point out where I am constantly missing opportunities. I have problems with "blind spots", I have problems with being too shy to put myself forward, and I know that is really stupid for a self-publisher, but getting publicity has always been a struggle for me. Not because people won't give it to me, but because I cringe at the thought of soliciting it.

It's never crossed my mind to "solicit" speaking engagements; every one I've had was the result of people finding/chasing me. But you are absolutely right: I ought to be trying to do more of this kind of thing.

I've never even offered myself to our own Railway Museum at York! I'm giving a talk to London Transport head office next month, that's quite good: £200 for 40 minutes and they're paying my travel. This came about after the Commissioner for Transport in London, Peter Hendy, bought a copy of my book (imagine my astonishment when his Paypal payment arrived, out of the blue ----- gawp!)

>>>Poland, for example, still has one of the largest timetabled services using steam; there is a museum, I think, in Warsaw.

<Sobs> I went to Poland for two weeks in September! Didn't cross my mind.

So, Neil, please do share more publicity ideas with me: as I say, it's my blind spot. If you've got any good ideas and are prepared to share them, please do email me!

Lots of love to all

Helena
  • edited February 2009
    Anywhere with mainline stations/junctions or where engineering was done e.g. Eastleigh, I think. Connections with Stevenson's Rocket - some museums have replicas. Woking used to have the orphanage which was something to do with the railways. Not sure what's there now. Libraries, of course. WIs and the like. Radio and television - if Malcolm Welshman's around, he might suggest some things.
  • Helena,
    That truly is wonderful news; very uplifting.
    And it proves that your writing is on track (that is a pun!) and you've arrived (another) at your station (!).
    Now the key is to both enjoy it and not get derailed!
    :D
  • OH NO!

I've started a punning thread!

HELP!
  • Well done, Helena!
  • I keep think my friend is on here as she's called Helena too.
  • Then she must pay me royalties to use my name.

PS Does she hate being called Helen, too? I even put that on my internet profile page as my pet hate.
  • I don't know, but she hates it being pronouced wrong. Any new teacher says her name wrong, she corrects them!
  • Ahh, well there is more than one pronounciation. The island of St Helena is pronounced Hel-eeena. Most English Helenas pronounce it like Helen, plus the A, with the accent on the first syllable. Because mine is a Polish name it is pronounced HelENa with the accent on the second syllable and each E rhymes with "hen"
  • Yes. Thats how the teachers pronouce it as the Helen a. I think she pronounces it the same as you. HelENa. I think.
  • Wow - that sounds great Helena...Congratulations! =)
  • Congratulations, Helena! Enjoy the trip and please report back.
  • What great news - well done.
  • Update: Well, I decided to extend my time in Sweden to four nights in Stockholm, something I probably would not have done had I not received the speaking invitation. What is more, my boyfriend, who "doesn't do abroad" (I gave up trying to persuade him years ago) and therefore has never had a passport in his 50 years, has to my surprise agreed to accompany me. So quite a big "fallout" from a simple email. I've just made the hotel reservation online while he is across the room on his laptop filling in an online passport application. Wonders never cease!
  • Isn't Easter reputed to be the season for miracles? :)

Delighted for you Helena - hope you both have a wonderful time. :)
  • Thanks CC
  • Take your camera, too! Enjoy!
  • Great stuff, Helena. When does the event happen for you? (Or have I missed something?)
  • How brilliantly it is turning out Helena - have a great time.
  • October.

Going off at a tangent here, just in case some of you find these little things interesting .... Searching for flights I found nothing from Gatwick worse luck, only Heathrow which is a good 3 hours by train from here - plus a two-hour check-in for European flights. Then spotted a much better option: flying from London City Airport, 15 minute check-in.