Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

The problem of **** words in book titles

edited February 2009 in - Reading
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1138675/Supermarkets-shamed-F-word-books-sale-online.html

the author/publishers possibly assumed if they used the word in the title it would get publicity and sell the book without them spending too much money- someone was bound to complain and get it in the papers...

Comments

• I can see why the one on global warming would use it; shock the book buyer into stopping and taking a look.

As for children seeing them - get real Daily Mail. School kids already know those words.
  • Yes, you should here the language from the year 7's. Probably think they're cool and hard by saying it.
  • Friends who work in primary schools have said they've heard even infants using "unsuitable" words. Hopefully they don't know what they mean.
  • That's just wrong, I blame the parents. My nan looked after me while my parents were at work in my infant years, and she substituted words. She used sugar and shoot. I'm not allowed to swear infront of my parents or grandparents. I don't swear often, and if I do, I'm usually with friends, and that depends on what friends.
  • As my cousin is only 6 at the moment I substitute words - sugar and fudge are the main ones...my brother doesn't bother - so he gets me glaring at him whenever he swears in front of our cousin.

Although I don't swear all that often in public...I swear to myself mainly...when something goes wrong!
  • Yes, same here!
  • Funny how the same words tend to spring to mind in those circumstances!
  • Yes, I tend to use fudgeholes or bumholes most of the time.
  • *speechless*
  • I don't care whether school kids know the language already (poor excuse) it shouldn't be allowed. I hate bad language but yesterdays so-called bad language is creeping to U and PG certificate films ie shit, bloody, crap.

Soon, if we don't take a stand (that's a joke with todays do-nothing welfare era) the f word, c**t will won't even raise an eyebrow - the f-word doesn't really anyway and that's so wrong. My five year old is learning to sound out his words and when we're in the book isle of Tesco I don't want him to spell out f**k, thanks very much.

What is it with these people trying to shock? The French Connection t-shirt riles me too (oooh I'm on my high horse), with it's silly logo. I won't let any of my kids wear them, and so far they respect my decision.
  • The big problem comes when they get to senior school, as those kids who don't swear feel they have to 'conform' to the tough image of teenagers- they're intimidated almost.
  • edited February 2009
    I agree with a lot of louise's post. I don't think it's right for children to see this word on open display in a supermarket - it just sends kids the message that the word is acceptable. And that has nothing to do with the fact that they may already know (and use) said word.
    p.s. I didn't use the F-word until I was in my twenties - maybe that was because I didn't see and hear adults using it all the time? (I only ever use it now, occasionally, in front of my husband and one or two very close friends.)
  • I have several French Connection t-shirts. I like them (there is a colon punctuation mark)
  • Remember that item about, no matter what order the letters in a word are, you can still read it correctly- never noticed thet have a colon markon their t-shirts!
  • I believe it was an accident initially then the press did their nut and FC thought 'all this publicity - great!'
  • An accident or a clever ploy to get them noticed. Either way it worked - sadly.

I've older children two (15 and 18) and they don't swear around me, they may swear around their peers and I've tried to keep swearing out of the house and off the TV (don't watch even Eastenders in front of the younger kids). Maybe I'm and old fuddy duddy, but I don't care. The world is going down the pan, and everyone shrugs their shoulders saying, "ah well, can't do anything about it, may as well join in."

Grrrr
  • I don't have EastEnders on at all.
  • The unfortunate fact these days is that mothers often use swear words when talking to their children who are misbehaving in supermarkets and that makes me angry. But when well known presenters can't even spend a few minutes on prime time shows, like BAFTA or others which are on earlier, without using swear words, what can we expect. The sad thing also is the fact that in many countries abroad people swear even more than we do. (Maybe I shouldn't have said 'we', as I don't really swear, or have done so only about twice in thirty years.) I find the innocuous words like 'blast', 'Pishiobury Avenue' and similar are enough to vent my spleen, if I've hurt myself or broken something. I'm not really a 'goody-goody', but can't stand foul language.
  • Article on swear words on pages 26-27 of March's Writing Magazine.
  • read that Jay. And I agree, too many and the meaning's lost. I'm writing a book about prostitutes (fiction) and the worse swear word I've permitted it p*ss, and then only a few. I think my readers will get my drift that it's gritty without reading f this and f that.
  • I hate swearing, no matter who it is coming from. No-one has ever heard me say a single swear word. In fact, I have only sworn once in my entire 50 years, and that was when I was at home alone. The reason? I put my hand in the sink full of dishes and soap suds and stuck a long, narrow knife right through my hand! I said everything I could think of then.

My first job was as Assistant Housekeeper at a prep boarding school. The housekeeping and kitchen staff had a system where one person each day would pick a word (but NOT a real swear word), write it on a bit of paper, stick it on the notice board, and that would be the swear word for the day. That way the 'little dears' would not learn swear words from us. It could be anything and we ended up with gems such as pickles, bucket, Bonios and tiddlywinks. The favourite was the name of a company that made well-known white glass cups, plates etc, called "Jobling"-ware. They all sound quite good if you use the right tone of voice.
  • "Pishiobury Avenue"!!! I've never heard that one, Verica - and I've been around, I would have to say.
  • I realised today my swear words are all made up ones! It was cold when I left the summerhouse this morning (without a cardigan/jacket, stupid of me) and I was walking up the garden going "feeps and meeps it's cold!" doesn't mean a thing but it helped. And sometimes they are more satisfying to say than the real thing!
  • That's a really good idea, HP!
    What's the stand on washing out a kid's mouth with soap, out of curiosity?
  • [quote=Tessadragon]What's the stand on washing out a kid's mouth with soap, out of curiosity? [/quote]

You'd get lock up for assault - can't stop their freedom of speech, remember. ;)