Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Research Question For Dorothy

edited February 2009 in - Reading
Don't know if you can help . . .

I'm writing an essay on James V (Henry's nephew); do you know of any good websites as a starting point?

The Question in full:

James V is sometimes seen as less a 'renaissance prince' than his father. Assess the contribution of James V and his court in introducing renaissance culture to Scotland.'

Comments

• Keeping this on the front page for Dorothy tomorrow.
  • Thanks Carol.

I think the big question is: what is renaissance culture? I'm a little bit confused because this is the beginning of the Reformation.
  • I am here, went off line early yesterday through the usual problem ...
    I know nothing about James V. Not someone who has come into my research remit so far. Reformation, Renaissance, also difficult. Some scholars differ about the meanings and the timing. Renaissance is supposed to be the sweeping into the country of all that is Wonderful And Beautiful In Art And Theatre And Literature, Reformation is the church undergoing its pangs of changes, or is that too simplistic?
    I would start with Wikipedia and use that as a jumping off point for all the links.
  • edited February 2009
    Thanks Dorothy.

I was given web addresses for parliamentary records etc by the University. I'm heading down to the library to see what I can find (coming down with a cold; so not as easy as it sounds!) I was going to do an essay on Mary Queen of Scots; but I was intrigued in the lecture by the idea that past historians dismissed James through a series of assumptions but is now being reassessed. Especially perturbed I couldn't find a single book on him on Amazon.

I was watching a programme last night on Scottish Church music talking about Hamilton being burnt as a Heretic which I had me yelling 'that's over simplified and just plain wrong' (more to do with he had dared to cross the King; than a Heretic.)

I'm going back to take a look at Linlithgow Palace on Tuesday to get a good look at the Heraldary; probably have a wander up to Stirling Castle too.

Sort of testing the water to see if there is a novel in this too.

If you do encounter James; hopefully I may be of some help.
  • edited February 2009
    thank you, I will remember that! He may ... I am attracting the maligned and misunderstood, it would seem. He is definitely misunderstood and overlooked, as King Stephen is, and to a certain extent, William Rufus too. Now he is one very strange and enigmatic person ... he is around, I am looking forward to working with him.

re: books, have you tried abebooks.com?
    I found these two:
    Sunrise in Scotland The Coming of the Reformation
    G M Alexander
    Good/Good condition 100 pages Covers 1528 - 1561 establishment of the church under King james V reformation under governor arran and under the queen`regent Mary of Guise, a small readable book of special interest.

THE ARCHITECTURE OF THE SCOTTISH RENAISSANCE
    Price: £ 10.00
    Book Description: R.I.A.S., Edinburgh, 1990. iIllustrated Card. Book Condition: Fine. Booklet printed to accompany an exhibition ' The Architecture of the Scottish Renaissance ' arranged for the Edinburgh Festival 1990, by RIAS. 32 pages .With an Introduction by Deborah Howard, followed by 11 scholarly, illustrated essays on various aspects of the subject by various authors. On - Scotland and Europe, Reformation and Education, King James !V. Scottish Parliament, Edinburgh. George Heriot's Hospital, The Renaissance Interior, Renaissance Garden. etc. A fine copy of this elusive volume. Paperback

and a lot more which were very expensive indeed, £220. one of them, but actual records of the time, it would seem.
    Suggestion: check these out, they were reasonable, about £10 I think. and then join Questia, the online library. You can read obscure work on line then. I bought a long subscription and read all I needed on Earl Rivers that way, *shh* printing off the relevant pages. No need to buy the hefty old tomes.
    Another suggestion, to get these books I put "King James V" in quotes in the box. Try it. Yes, there could well be a novel in there, as he is much overlooked.
    *saves me the job*
  • edited February 2009
    Thanks for the tip off!

I found one book on Amazon; there are two copies in the University library which are already checked out (my suspicion lies at dissertations/postgraduates.) I'll try to request it; or just buy it off Amazon. Found a few books which would be a good start!

I'll also make sure I'll do some asking around of the Historic Scotland staff!