Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

(Question) Historical Fiction

edited February 2009 in - Reading
I was sitting in a Scottish History lecture this morning when a thought entered my head. Why do historical authors, when writing about Kings and Queens also stick with the obvious 'fashionable' ones; only to reinforce assumptions?

Dorothy excluded!!!!

I can real off lists of novels about Henry VIII; Elizabeth I or Mary Queen of Scots. So why is it impossible to find novels about monarchs like James V or James VII? I find their stories just as fascinating: James V was kidnapped by nobles and his mistress is alleged to have been murdered to make way for marriage to an English Princess; or there is James VI who cuts a tragic figure; also kidnapped by nobles; threatened with a sword to his throat as he held Court.

As a writer I think - you couldn't make this stuff up - so why are they overlooked?

Comments

• Because many people have not heard of them, so why would a publisher risk a book that might not sell without a lot of publicity.
    Nowdays kids don't do the, start at the Romans and work through. They do Henry VIII because he had six wives and everyone has heard about him.
    Unless the others have done something drastic that effects society, politics or religion that resounds to the present day, they'll be ignored.
    Very wrong.
  • Don't you fancy writing a bit of historical stuff yourself, Stirling? You've already spotted the gap in the market, you've got the interest. James V's tale sounds fascinating.
  • it's quick and easy to go for what is 'famous'. Dr Starkey does it all the time. Desmond Sewell obviously, very obviously, hates, loathes and detests Richard III, his book 'England's Black Legend' is a masterpiece of libellous material against that king, but put Richard III on the cover and it sells. I will be writing of and for Jacquetta Woodville and already the editor is asking how we will 'identify' her to the public. Poor woman is already labelled 'grandmother to the Princes in the Tower' rather than the powerful influential figure she was/is in court at that time. My past life husband King Oswald (6th century) is often around. I asked if he wanted to tell me his story and he said 'who would want to know about me? They won't even know who I am.' In fact he did a lot for his people at the time (Northumberland area) but he's right. I will have a few problems with Stephen, people now say 'who?' and how many people know which of the Georges was the Prince Regent? (He arrived last weekend).
    It's time for others to step sideways and look out of the box for new subjects. There are many there ...
  • edited February 2009
    Well as a native Northumbrian, I would love to read a book on our heritage. The Kings of Northumbria we're incredibly powerful men; but only seem to be mentioned as a post-script in history. We should have been taught this at school.

I think you're right Susie; I think I'm being drawn to this with a purpose. I think Scottish publishers would be more open to this.

Dorothy you would have enjoyed yesterday's Writing and History seminar. My tutor ripped apart the Braveheart myth saying this isn't Scotland's history; it was a rehashing of the American War of Independence and foisting it upon 14th century Scotland.
  • more power to your tutor!!!!! And yes, I agree with Susie, go write. You are right there, you have the location and the information on your doorstep. Go write and let's get the market opened up to people outside the Big Ones. They won't mind. I am planning on writing about Elizabeth but not on her own, an alternate chapter book with Mary Q of S. Show how the two lives ran side by side and then crashed into one another (I wrote headlong and decided it was not appropriate).
  • That will be an interesting book Dorothy. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

This might be good for you:

The Scottish Parliamentary Records:
    www.rps.ac.uk

After the flu I don't feel up to writing the crime novel; but I think I'll start research James V. Thanks.
  • thanks for that link.

I had the book planned but I needed the consent of both queens and their willingness to come and talk to me to actually schedule it. One night in circle we were visited by an aristocrat who did not tell us who he was. We worked out, finally, that he was connected with Fotheringhay castle somehow. I kept seeing an image of Sir Walter Raleigh but knew that was not who was standing there. Then I got the message. This man was keeper of the castle during the last six months of Mary's life. He came to give me her consent, with the proviso that I would be sympathetic to his queen. He obviously adores her still. I agreed and said I planned to do that anyway. Then he said 'I have a message from Sir Walter Raleigh from his Queen that she agrees to the book, provided you are sympathetic to her.' So that's where Sir Walter came in. I asked for the man's name and he told me it was in my Fotheringhay book. He is, Sir William Fitzwilliam. A long and complicated way of giving me permission to go ahead but somehow, knowing the two proud queens, the right way.
    Go research James V. You could have a whole new niche market to yourself.
  • edited February 2009
    George IV, Dorothy, that will be interesting.
    Stirling, thank goodness there are some tutors willing to say that out loud. :)
  • edited February 2009
    George IV will be very interesting. Apart from anything else, he is a total charmer!

Wrote that, posted it, then heard "of course, my dear, of course, it's the flowers, does it every time!" I was smelling fresh cut flowers most of last weekend.