Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

A view on modern magazines...

edited February 2009 in - Reading
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1151404/Degrading-disgusting-demeaning-Im-ashamed-modern-womens-magazines-says-Cosmo-editor.html

Comments

• I've thought for a while that Cosmo seems to be mild compared to the weeklies.

The only women's glossy I buy is Psychologies.
  • I also get Psychologies and find it a very intelligent and enjoyable read. The other magazines are brought in by colleagues and I find them so irratating that I end up putting them to one side in disgust.
  • I don't buy any of the celebrity/real life magazines- like this writer, the front page is enough to put you off, so I don't read the details. Yuk.
  • I can't look at the celeb mags without bursting into laughter. Don't these women realise how ridiculous they look pouting and posing?
  • i sometimes read the Chat it's fate and Take a break fate and fortune because i find the ghost stories funny and weird and they might give me ideas!
  • edited February 2009
    I know someone who has written a number of items for the Chat It's Fate issue, she's very level headed but like every magazine it has a particular market and image that needs to be written for.
  • there's no such thing as ghosts ...
  • No...but somethings stolen my walkman lead, now I can't put science revision podacasts on my walkman to revise from, as that's the easiest, and maybe the only way I'll get my revision done. And it needs charging too, GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!
  • Scratch that, I found it in a hidden compartment of my laptop bag. GRRR I hate hidden compartments!
  • I have an hidden compartment for my hidden compartments. The thing is, I seem to have lost it.
  • That's the thing, I looked in my laptop bag and it wasn't there, 'till I look in the net stuff. Now it's charging, so I STILL can't revise unless I put it on another MP3 player. I might have to do that, or just wait untill my walkmans charged.
  • i have never really read womens mags. I have my subscription to Writing Magazine and now have a subscription to SFX magazine (but that is because I'm a geek) and occasionally buy one of the music mags, either Kerrang or Metal Hammer, but not very often. There is nothing in those mags that appeals to this woman.
  • I've had to buy four magazines a week for two months for research. I cannot believe the contents.

'Loose Women'
    'Bingo'
    'Loose Women'
    'Kate Garraway is pregnant!'
    'I married my brother's sister's cousin's auntie - but divorced her because she ate my budgie'
    'Loose Women'
    'Bingo'
    'Who's taking over from Kate Garraway?'
    '101 ways to beat the credit crunch - avoiding giving up your magazines, bingo and getting your hair done like Kate Garraway'

I love Psychologies too. Worth buying.