Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

"How Fiction Works" by James Wood

edited February 2009 in - Reading
This book has a very good review in the Times.

Comments

• edited February 2009
    That's because it's pretty good. IMO of course. :-)

I read it last year and it has lots of interesting points about creating character, POV, narrative etc. Well worth a read.

He's the literary critic at 'The New Yorker' so he knows what he's on about.
  • edited February 2009
    Richard, can you stand by that statement? I read many 'reviews' by 'eminent' reviewers and still hate the book and find it full of errors, clich
  • Absolutely, Dorothy.

I can't go into detail about the book because I'm at work, but here's a quote taken from Wikipedia. (I know it's genuine because I've read the article mentioned as well as numerous other articles about him.)

--Adam Begley of the Financial Times wrote that Wood "is the best literary critic of his generation," a sentiment that has also been expressed by writers and critics William H. Pritchard, Susan Sontag, Harold Bloom, Cynthia Ozick, Christopher Hitchens, and Saul Bellow. In an interview with Clive James, Martin Amis described Wood as "a marvellous critic, one of the few remaining."
  • Oh yes, I thought; I've read that one. But James Woody didn't ring a bell. I looked through my files and sure enough, the one I had read was "How Fiction Works" by Oakley Hall, 2001. Very comprehensive, but possibly nothing like as relevant to 'writing for publication' as the new one, Jenny.

I know what you're saying, Dorothy, and I agree. Now. But reading all those 'How to' books has been like doing a degree course in creative writing for me. So many things come naturally to me which I would not have realised without reading them. I am sure that your own fluency in effective writing comes as the result of your history of development. I think I'll get James Woody's book, because one thing I don't want is to rest content with my present state of writing skill. Luckily I was recently given a Waterstone's voucher for £20.
  • It's worth it Dwight.

BTW, It's James Wood.
  • Cheers, Richard.
  • BTW, as an aside, Dwight, A better book than this is Francine Prose's 'Reading Like a Writer' which uses close reading of great works to examine how top-notch writers do what they do. I refer back to it a lot. It came out in 2006 but is available now in paperback.
  • Thanks for pointing out the mistake, Richard. There's a very small picture of the book's front cover alongside the review with JAMES WOOD in red and what looks like a Y in grey next to it.

I've just found a bigger picture online and what I took to be a Y is actually a pen with the word Vintage "dripping" from the nib!

I've changed the author's name in the thread title to avoid confusion.
  • Now that is just the kind of book I like, Richard. Hopefully my voucher will stretch far enough to buy me both.
  • Very interesting insights, Dorothyd. Did you say your book was coming out soon? What's it called? I'm really looking forward to it. :)
  • I have a similar book called "How Novels Work" By John Mullan, sounds very similar, covers the some sort of thing I think. It was published in 2006. I'm finding it quite interesting at the moment, though.
  • Caro, the book is called "Death Be Pardoner To Me" - the life of George, duke of Clarence. It should be out in March, but the last I heard (Saturday) there were problems with the artist who was designing the cover - the idea was he should come up with a concept for my entire series, just changing the character in front of whatever - not sure how they were going to do it, as medieval tapestry would not do for King Arthur or Alfred the Great for starters, nor would it be right for the Prince Regent or Oliver Cromwell (all forthcoming books) which may be the reason for the delay.
  • Thanks for letting me know. I'll be looking out for it. I imagine I can get a copy in Waterstones or on Amazon? Good luck with it.
  • the publishers have spent hours with Waterstones top buyer working out how best to present this series, so it definitely will be there!
  • That's great. Who is your publisher? I hope they sort things out with the artist.
  • A company called Convecta. I heard this morning, message on the answerphone, so the editor was up and about early, that they have roughs of the covers, they are talking of combining two themes, they have a meeting set up with Waterstones to discuss it and go with the best. I am going to see the roughs, so I can get an idea of what they are doing. The duke is anxious to see them, too.
    This company is extraordinary. They have other sidelines, travel, all sorts of other things too, the historical series is a new departure for them, one that is channelled is even more of a departure and a gamble but the editor is convinced of its value, especially as every book comes with a psychic portrait, too. Extraordinary in that they have Henry VIII's book, a big name, but they are going with George duke of Clarence first, even though he won't be as big a draw, as they love the book. The editor said, we will go with it, then we will put Henry's book out, people will buy that and come back for George's... not many would take that kind of gamble. On the other hand, they know they have 20-25 books to come, all from spirit, all with the same potency and Big Names to attract people, like King Arthur, Oliver Cromwell, Elizabeth and Mary (in one book and both queens have consented to the work) and me prepared to back it up in public wherever they want. I stand by my work, they know it. The editor has seen all the portraits (so far, he hasn't seen the lovely calm one of Charles I, a man fulfilled, not a man haunted any more) and is more than happy with the way I work.
  • I do hope the book will be out by April/May when I'll be passing through the UK, Dorothy. (Also couldn't help noting that you mentioned one of the publisher's sidelines is travel... :) )
  • thanks, Claudia, a guaranteed sale ... LOL! really,thanks.