Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

'Oldest English words' identified

edited February 2009 in - Reading
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7911645.stm

Comments

• That's 'I', not 'i'. :-)
  • Amazing that they think they can see into the future!
  • I bet people thought spam was going to die out once the Second World War had finished.
  • when a cave man hit his fingers with a flint axe while doing a job for his missus I wonder if he said B******S.
    =======

I would have thought the first word uttered by a woman would be NO!

;-)
  • Ah yes, but what was the question?
  • I can see how 'squeeze' 'stick' and 'bad' will die out in their slang uses, as slang is always shortlived, but that the words will disappear altogether? I can't see that happening.

I expect the first caveman who hit his fingers with a flint axe went aauuuuggh or similar, Bill. And the first word uttered by a woman would have been 'DON'T' :P
  • If you were starting a new language, what would be your first word?
  • Mama is one of the first, and it's virtually the same in several European languages. It's also 'something' a baby will usually see.
  • There was a little filler in the Sun today about a mute woman who surprised her new husband by uttering her first word.
    "No"
    :D
  • I can't imagine 'stab' dying out, unfortunately, considering the knife culture nowadays! I agree with Mama and have mourned the day my children swapped it for 'Mum', as to me that is a roll on deodorant.