Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Reading whilst at your abloutions

edited March 2009 in - Reading
Have just listened to discussion on "The Wright Stuff" about reading while sitting on the lavatory. The question was - Is it only men that do it ?
Apparently not.
Michael Rosen and Christopher Biggins sing the praises of the activity, and so does the lady standing in for Wright (don't know her name) Two pleasurable activities which go nicely together, they suggest.
I have always thought it a very unsavoury thing to do - and feel that the book/newspaper/magazine has been contaminated in some way (no - I am not particluarly a hygiene freak) and can think of much better places to read.
I have been known to read while washing up with one hand, vacuuming and of course walking about with a crying child in my arms...but come on, the lavatory ??? Surely not.

Comments

• definitely not! In, 'do' out and get on with life!
  • I'm never in there long enough to think about much. To be honest,
    if it takes them so long that they have time to multi-task, perhaps
    they should be reading about improving their diets?
  • good point, BB.
  • Urgh, i'd never bring any of my books into the loo! Not even if i did have enough time in the loo to read a page let alone a chapter.
  • I suppose it would help break the habit of licking a finger before tuning a page...?
  • Ha ha!

Of course. I read (and write!) on the porcelain throne. What else are you going to do, stare into space? I resent the fact that nature is eating in to my spare time.
  • I tend to practice my fingerspelling if I'm in there long enough.
  • Only very occasionally do I read in the loo.
  • Sorry to ask this, but I feel I need to know - aren't your hands busy elsewhere?
  • Not when I'm sat on the loo BB. :)
  • AS a child I used to read on the loo a lot.

But not now, I don't like anything that doesn't need to be in the loo area, to be there. And when you visit pople and they have reading material in their loo, even special magazine racks, ooh yuk.
  • edited March 2009
    I don't really like taking books into the loo to read (though I have been known to...) but we have a pile of well-thumbed books and magazines in there... (that better, Dora? :) )
  • Does ablutions include the bath?

It's far more relaxing reading in the bath than in the shower!!
  • LizLiz
    edited March 2009
    We have a special bookcase outside particularly for books with photos and suchlike which can be perused in the time it takes to go. They are then put by the wall while certain cleansing rituals are observed, and hands washed and then they are picked up and put outside again. What on earth do you lot who are worried about contamination DO in your loo?

I never have a bath, only showers, but wouldn't read in there... (the bath!) that's the get in get out place for me. The other place I simply cannot read is in bed... I either want to go to sleep or get up.
  • edited March 2009
    There's probably a market for waterproof books to read in the shower ... !
  • If you're worried about books in the bathroom, what about toothbrushes in the toilet?
  • I used to relax in the bath and read years ago but, nowadays, I lie back, close my eyes and just relax there for a few minutes, then get out and either go to bed if it's the evening or get dressed and get on with the rest of the day.

I've just discovered that if I do a major crossword in bed at night, I wake up after an hour or two and can't get to sleep again for hours, wondering what the last few clues could be, whereas if I read in bed I sleep better, now that I've cut out my cholesterol lowering tablets, for the moment.
  • I'm just wondering why Jay puts his toothbrush in the toilet!
  • I assume the loo is in the bathroom with the sink/shower/bath- take your pick of combinations...
  • I read somewhere that toothbrushes shouldn't be within 6 feet of the toilet because of airborne germs.
  • So, we're saying that brushing your teeth whilst on the loo is a no, no?
  • edited March 2009
    I read that too Jenny, can't remember where I read it. I think brushing your teeth whilst on the loo is a definite no no!
  • Well they better build bigger bathrooms then...
  • GGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR............

Ablutions is spelt (spelled) like this - A B L U T I O N S
    Since becoming an "editor" my keyboard seems to add letters and punctuation marks where they are not needed ;)
    Now I will read the thread.
  • Our keyboard does all sorts of odd things - my husband says I probably hit control keys by mistake. The oddest was having everything I'd typed crossed through the middle of the letters in red!
  • There was a science type programme on a bit back where they did a proper controlled experiment on the toothbrush in the bathroom/toilet area thing. They even stood the toothbrushes in a mug on top of the lavatory cistern. It turned out that there were no more germs on the brushes than there would be in any other room.

I don't really think germs would "land" on the books, it's just the idea that doesn't right, somehow.

Jenny - you are too kind :)
  • I never read in the loo, but the bath is a different matter. I suppose in days gone by if you had a 'thunderbox' at the bottom of the garden, with a nice view, it might have made a nice place to sit and read!
  • Jay our toilet is separate from the bathroom although we are having two more toilets installed soon (i have a big bottom :))
  • [quote=Jenny]It's far more relaxing reading in the bath than in the shower!! [/quote]

=D

I read in the bath but not whilst on the toilet - we have our toilet separate from the bathroom.

my brother reads whilst in the toilet - which is a sign that you do not want to go in there straight after him! =(
  • I think/fear this is, generally speaking, a man thing.
    I know umpteen fellas that take a newspaper to the loo while 'performing' a number two.
    Obviously I don't behave in such a abhorrent manner - that would be hideous.
    ;)
  • :) Maybe I should have been a bloke then, ColB. Nothing worse than sitting and staring into space when you could be reading. I read at any and every available opportunity - why should the toilet be any different?

[quote=Baggy Books]I feel I need to know - aren't your hands busy elsewhere?[/quote]
    Um...no. They'd only be resting on your knees or drooping down beside you otherwise, wouldn't they? Might as well be turning pages.
  • [quote=Col B.]Obviously I don't behave in such a abhorrent manner - that would be hideous.[/quote]

So glad to hear that!! :P
  • When we moved into our present house, we realized we'd got three toilets - one in the bathroom, one in the shower room, and one in the downstairs cloakroom. That's one and a half each.

I now keep my toothbrush in the bathroom cabinet. I also worry about the mug it's in. I usually end up having to pour bleach into it (the mug) to clean it.
  • LizLiz
    edited March 2009
    I don't worry about the airborne germs, because, as someone said, it's been proved that it causes no further contamination... but Jay is right, the mug is a veritable breeding ground! That's because your mouth contains the most dangerous germs in the house anyway. You put your toothbrush back, wet, and those germs trickle down into the mug in the water. And breed... in ideal conditions. Now that is YUK!

And actually, putting it into the bathroom cabinet is not ideal, it's better for the toothbrush to be somewhere it can dry quickly.
  • So it's not a good idea to share a toothbrush??
  • Oh Jay - my soul mate - I'm a secret bleach in toothbrush mug person
  • BB, no... unless I suppose it's someone you're playing tonsil tennis with anyway...
  • Tonsil tennis? That's a new one!
  • I once had a boss who referred to tonsil tennis as gum sucking and exchanging of spit.
  • edited March 2009
    What a romantic!

Imagine if he (or she) had written a love song!!!
  • Some enchanted evening,
    I will gum a stranger...
    suck his spit across a roooooom.....