Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Lots of good news about my book Fallen Heroes

edited March 2009 in - Writing Tales
Hi all I'm new to the boards but I thought I'd give you a quick update on my self published book. I had my second Waterstones signing at one of the Milton Keynes branches of Waterstones last weekend. The signing went well and I managed to sell several copies of the book. The Milton Keynes branch manager has now read Fallen Heroes and loved it(he read it in a day!). He has promised to do a bookseller review of Fallen Heroes for the Waterstone's website (which will be it's second bookseller review). He has also promised to move the books into the recommends section at the front of the shop with a personal recommendation from himself. He will also trying to push the book to a few other branches (the book is in 11 now).

In the next month I plan to bring out another revision of the book just to clear up a few typos that have slipped through the net. For the new edition James Barclay, one of my favourite authors has kindly agreed to write a recommendation on the book's cover and a longer one for the interior or to use anywhere I see fit. This is a huge boost for me and the book and it’s one of the most exciting things to happen to it.

Also it's been confirmed that the book is being adapted as a graphic novel. You can read the press release for that below from the comic companies blog page.

All the best!

Barry

The Fallen Heroes adaptation now has a writer attached.

Martin Conaghan will be picking up the pen on this one and working closely with author Barry Nugent over the coming months.

I didn’t so much read the first scene of Fallen Heroes back in 2008, as see it come to life out of the page, so visually arresting is the writing. With the sharp, multi-layered plot and slick characters of modern crime writing juxtaposed against the shadowy agencies, ancient magic and bold dynamic characters of pulp adventure Fallen Heroes is going to be a truly striking comic

With any adaptation finding the best writer for the job was crucial. Given the book’s increasing cult status we had a lot of very good pitches from both known and new writers hoping to get involved with this project. Fallen Heroes will be a very complex adaptation, as those who have read the novel will know, and there is huge amount of work to be done on the structure and coaxing the characters over to a new medium before the writing even begins.

We asked Martin to do the honours as he is a very experienced writer and researcher and is making a welcome return to comics (with Burke and Hare, also for Insomnia) after a 10 year absence. Martin’s background as a journalist, his incredibly deep knowledge of comics, their creators and their history, and his ability to deftly re-structure disparate historical sources into gripping stories with vibrant, vital characters all make him the perfect person for the job.

Martin himself says:

"Fallen Heroes is jam-packed full of fantastic ideas and thrilling set-pieces. I’m looking forward to finding out where I can take Barry’s rich characters when I translate them on to the comic-book page; from the reluctant hero Jason Chen to the ruthless demon stalker Napoleon Stone. It has everything; a great blend of mythology, science-fiction, action and the supernatural - all told in a very visual style - it’s perfect for the graphic novel format."

If you would like to read the original novel before the adaptation then you can find it in Waterstones , Borders, or Barnes and Noble (if they can keep it on the shelves!), or on Amazon.

However the really lucky ones can get hold of one of a limited number of special editions from our table at the show in Bristol. These include some of the original sketches of the cover and some deleted scenes (which come with an explanation as to why they were cut).

We also hope to have Barry signing copies and talking about the story at the table at some point in the day, if his Geek Syndicate duties allow. If you want a signed copy and can't make the con then Waterstones around the country have Barry on a regular signing schedule, keep an eye on his website for dates and details.

Comments

• great news! Best of luck with it and the graphic novel, too.
  • LizLiz
    edited March 2009
    Wow, that's brilliant Barry. So are they in Waterstone's Bristol? (That's my local!) which one is the manager?
  • Well done Barry, and welcome to Talkback! :)
  • Nice one Barry!
  • Well done!
  • Wonderful - many congratulations, Barry.
    I just love the fact that the Milton Keynes branch manager in Waterstones read your book and is now going to actively promote it.
  • Wonderful news.
  • [quote=dorothyd]great news! Best of luck with it and the graphic novel, too. [/quote]

Thanks!
  • [quote=LizB]Wow, that's brilliant Barry. So are they in Waterstone's Bristol? (That's my local!) which one is the manager? [/quote]

Friad not Liz. I will be doing a signing at a comic convention in Bristol in May to help promote the upcoming graphic novel though.
  • [quote=claudia]I just love the fact that the Milton Keynes branch manager in Waterstones read your book and is now going to actively promote it. [/quote]

I know! the manager of my local Waterstones in Northampton has also been a great help. She was the one who organised my first Waterstone's signing. She also read the book and wrote this awesome bookseller review.

http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/displayProductDetails.do?sku=5988634
  • For anyone interested in finding out more on the book you can to it's website.

http://www.unseenshadows.co.uk
  • [quote=flyingtart]Well done Barry, and welcome to Talkback![/quote]

Thanks for the welcome. I've been getting the magazine for a few years now and been lucky enough to be in the members news section a few times. I thought it was about time I checked out the talkback.
  • Thats great Barry keep up the good work:-D
  • Congrats again, Barry, all sounds brilliant. I've bookmarked the site, will be sure to check it out when I have some more spare time.
  • Well done, Barry.
    Ditto Jediya's comment.
  • thanks guys!