Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Publish and be damned (article)

edited March 2009 in - Reading
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/mar/07/julie-myerson-drugs-son

if she didn't believe it would attract publicity SHE ISINDEED NAIVE.

Made me wonder if the original story about the regency girl just didn't have enough going for it to start with...

Comments

• At least it's got her book in the public eye!
  • http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1160085/Mum-did-obscene-The-son-Julie-Myerson-kicked-smoking-pot-tells-story.html

Another article on the subject - from the son's point of view.
  • The publishers have rushed the release forward to this month...
  • edited March 2009
    I have decided not to read it - based on the fact that I can't decide what to do about mine, as discussed on other thread.
    I have read the articles though - is that hypocritical ? ;)

She would have preferred the book to "slip quietly into the shops" according to her agent. Why bother with the reviews etc etc then ? HUMPH
  • She should have just written it as fictional characters instead of naming her son. And nobody in the whole process intervened...Hmm...'Money is the root of all evil' (well, a lot of it).
  • "I suppose she didn't think she was famous enough to have the Daily Mail parked outside."--Daily Mail's only criteria is stupidity, in order to cater to its hysterical audience.

As for the book, it frankly sounds dull as dishwater to me. Better for her to wait for her son to be dead anyway before going and practically releasing his life story to the public. I would be humiliated if my mother did this to me. I would disown her and I would slap her around the face.

Seems like a lot of parents are using their children in this way recently in the publishing market, or else children their own parents. We are part of a sickening race.

As for 'skunk' and other drugs like 'weed' one of my classmates uses it at occasional parties and has informed me that indeed it has very bad press...the studies carried out to 'prove' that these drugs are bad only explored how bad it is when overused, which is a situation she would compare with alcohol...too much is a bad thing, that is all. Though honestly I don't give a fig about drugs. I don't use them, I don't care to be friends with people who do, I like my body the way it is and have just never been pulled into the drug culture. If people choose to destroy their lives through drugs, then all the better if they take themselves out of the gene pool. The population needs reducing anyway.