Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

300 not out!

edited March 2009 in - Reading
I started a new story today, and gave it a reference number: 300. Yes, I've started 300 stories. A few may not have made it past one or two lines, but All About Sex turned into a 40,000-word novel. And it includes flash fiction and a few poems.

When I was having trouble locating my stories a few years ago - each was in a large envelope - I realized I'd have to start numbering them. Having written so many, it's easy to forget what happens in each of them, especially if the working title wasn't used for the finished story. Names don't always help, either, as I often put XXX and YYY, etc for the characters.

My stories used to be written in the 3rd person, but I've noticed the 1st person creeping in. Sometimes halfway through a story, which can confuse even me. Other people, if asked to read a draft, soon become aware of my inability to decide anything. Not just the characters' names, but also what they say. I may give two or more versions.

Sex is a problem, of course. I've had editors - or perhaps I should re-phrase that - who want it, and those who don't.

What else? Tips? Well, try to write 100 words a day. Keep everything (within reason). And keep a back-up copy somewhere safe.

Comments

• congratulations, Jay, that is some achievement!
  • 300, that's a lot of work.
    Good advice.
  • I wish I could count my poems... I'm getting a bit out of control, so many poems (hundreds, probably a thousand at least) and so many version of the poems, all labelled things like 'THE version', 'LAST version', 'THE THE very latest and best version', 'Latest changed version bestest' - all examples from one poem, and 3 months later I have no idea which is actually the latest version so i have to look at them all... I wish I was more careful!!
  • I started labelling my saved chapter novels by chapter x/month/year.
    But haven't worked out the best system for short stories- yet.