Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Poetry is the cornerstone of civilisation

edited March 2009 in - Reading
http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/books/poetry/article5853129.ece?token=null&offset=0&page=1

Do you think Wendy Cope will be named poet laureate?

Comments

• Well that argument left me 100% unconvinced.

Poetry and drama are different because they are performance art. They aren't meant to be read flat from the page like a novel. I'm doing a module on poetry and there are rules - they're just not literal.

I am bemused why the journalist places poetry above prose and drama. Surely all three are as equal as 'the cornerstone of civilisation'. Well they are to me anyway.
  • I can't comment--when I first read the title of this thread I thought it read "pastry".
  • :D

[quote=Stirling]I am bemused why the journalist places poetry above prose and drama. Surely all three are as equal as 'the cornerstone of civilisation'.[/quote]

Have to agree with you Stirling.
  • edited March 2009
    Agree 100%, Stirling.

To me, Wendy Cope's poetry is exactly how this AA Gill describes prose.... and whilst she is talented, hardly Poet Laureate material, methinks.
    The whole article annoys me - why on the second page is he writing in 4 word sentences? "He said hello. He shook my hand. It was Robert Graves." Am I missing the point and is this supposed to be poetic as opposed to prose ? Or is he writing in a style that is inappropriate for the content?
    Sorry - am going off on one, but my real irritation is his use of the word "philistinism" which I would have thought is not appropriate in any discussion, conversation or article, unless you are specifically speaking about Palestinians from which the word derives.
    (arabic word for Palestine : filistinie or philistinia)

Going to "Have My Say" now on Mr Gill's comment thingy :)
  • No, I wouldn't call that poetic at all. Its just bland.

Very poorly argued piece.
  • [quote=HPRW]-when I first read the title of this thread I thought it read "pastry". [/quote]

Well I think pastry is the cornerstone of civilisation. Isn't it?
  • edited March 2009
    I tend to agree with you on that!

Re poetry v prose - there's plenty of room for both. One is as important as the other. And I usually read poetry out loud!
  • As it's supposed to be!
  • It takes a lot to beat a flushing toilet.
  • why would you want to beat a flushing toilet?
  • I can think of a rude retort. Am trying to think of one I can post. :-)
  • Beat it at what? Chess?
  • Or you could beat it with a stick...
  • ... or a lavatory brush
  • [quote=HPRW]I can't comment--when I first read the title of this thread I thought it read "pastry".[/quote]

I do think pastry is a lot more important than poetry. I can go for months and months without consuming any poetry, but deprive me of pastry for a fortnight and I go all giddy. Without pastry, what would keep the steak & kidney inside the pie? Pastry is not just a cornerstone but more a foundation of all that it means to be English (which I, btw, am not).
  • edited March 2009
    I found it a brilliant article - the work of a wordsmith

I don't think he is decrying any form, be it prose or whatever, he's just saying that poetry has an elusive quality that is difficult to define.

Thanks for posting it Carol - I've printed it off for future reference and the quiz is useful for my writers' group.
  • Sending this to the top in the hope Amboline sees it - would be interested to hear his view
  • Poetry Society: Poetry is the music of the soul. I agree - does anyone else?
  • Well as a guitarist I would say music as well as literature is the music of the soul.
  • As well as the food of love?
  • Amazing what comes out of people when you find an article about poetry...:D