Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Writers beware, childen own their own lives

edited March 2009 in - Reading
Very good piece by Libby Purves in the Times re the Myerson issue.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/libby_purves/article5870776.ece

Comments

• Only children? (I haven't read the article yet.)
  • I think she was classing all up to adulthood as children- ask any parent, even when they're thirty they are still our children! ;)
  • And only parents? (I've read the article now.) Where do you draw the line as to who has the right to tell? Should biographies of living people always be author - good word, that - ised? And who is telling the truth? Or is there no truth, only our perceptions of it?
  • did anyone else notice they can't even spell or proof their own headings? What are childen, for goodness sake! The article is fair comment. I have responded mentioning misery memoirs, surely they come under that heading. We have had enough family traumas plastered over the pages in recent years, Ms Myerson is unfortunately only adding to the collection. Time we wrote about nicer things. Like executions, murder and double dealing in the 15th century, for example ...
  • [quote=Carol]even when they're thirty they are still our children! [/quote]

So, so right. My dad said he will look at me as his child, even he takes me up the aisle. I'm only 14!!!
  • Whatever age, one's children are always one's children, but we must realise that when they're grown up, they're adults and treat them as such.
  • That's a good commnent Verica.
  • "Your children are not your children, they are the sons and the daughters of life's longing for itself
    though they come through you they are not of you, and though they are with you they belong not to you." The Prophet

quoted by heart so may be a bit wrong. I've always believed that children are our responsibility but not our posessions. I have a similar feeling about cats, dogs, horses...
  • Of course everything is the individuals perceptions, as Jay said. But there does seem to have been a lot of comments on tv shows about it, and there are a lot saying she's wrong, and others saying she is right.
    Agree with what you say Verica, it can be difficult to do, but we have to do it.
  • Verica, you're right. My daughter is 35. I have had people tell me I should drag her to the doctor's ... it is her decision, her body, her pain, surely! It is not for me to judge or demand or cajole. She knows when things are bad and when they are not and how she feels about people poking and prodding her. I treat her as an adult who knows her own mind on everything. It's the only way to have a balanced relationship.