Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Did anyone enter the M&B/WW competition last year?

edited March 2009 in - Reading
Bought Woman's Weekly today (17th March) and they have the winning story in it.
The winner and three runners up can be read on the M&B website. (I haven't read the runners-up yet)

Comments

• Thanks, Carol. I'll go and have a look. I didn't enter, did you?
  • No, some of the termsand conditions put me off.
  • Same with me!
  • edited March 2009
    http://www.millsandboon.co.uk/competitions.asp

that's the link for the stories. It took some looking to find it, as there was nothing obvious on the main page.

Okay, perhaps I'm getting old, or I'm being hyper critical- there was only a limited length after all, but the runners-up all had potential but I could see faults with them (probably because of the length) which ruined them. If they were the runners up what were the rest like!
    So actually the one that won was quite reasonable.Well done to her.

Heather, tell me honestly. Am I being too critical of the runners-up?
  • Apologies for intruding Carol but your postings intrigued me so curiosity dared an investigation.

Standards of the three runner up stories were a surprise. It appears as though pace of each story is wrong. Character introduction took a leisurely stroll whilst the commitment phase was rushed. Not dissimilar to window shopping on the way home from work only to see one's bus and having to run in order to catch it.
    As you say, lovely potential but in need of even tempo with a gradual acceleration to the climax.

Reading the winner also produced surprises. Was the main character "Millie" or "Milly" ? Rather disappointing that such errors were overlooked.
  • Jan, you picked up on a couple of the things I noticed too.