Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Robin Hood Mentioned in 13th Century Manuscript

edited March 2009 in - Reading
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1161809/Discovered-The-13th-Century-manuscript-shows-Robin-Hood-Merry-Men-werent-popular-all.html#addComment

Comments

• He gets everywhere.
  • But he wasn't quite as popular as we may have thought !
  • It's interesting that the story seems can be traced back to Edward I. I've heard a theory about a connection to William Wallace before.
  • there are many stories of Robin...quite fun really... and ironic that just this afternoon i was watching the 1938 version of Robin Hood...really fun.. :D I'm definately of the mind that one person's view written in 1400s is not proof enough. Does it mention anything about this writer being reputable or anything? and the fact that, yes, the church was also part of the "rich" that Robin would have stolen from... For me, i still think it's just a legend with some truth... but not totally... if that makes sense at this time of night ;)
  • Certainly, and a good reasoning. :)
  • Jemma, the manuscript dates back to the 1200's. It was written by a monk.

There is a theory that the story originated from the story of William Wallace being passed on by word of mouth in English communities. However this manuscript firmly places him in Nottingham.