Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Historical Accuracy

edited March 2009 in - Reading
Last night I was research online a period in Scottish History that I'm keen to write about, when I hit on a series of book on the same period. Now these books are supposed to be the closest to 'Scottish History.' I found an extract and within the first chapter I found a glaring inaccuracy: the wife (13th century) of Scotland's highest noble hand making a dress; I just know that's wrong (particularly when you've got servants wandering around the scene.)

So for historical fiction readers; do you find inaccuracy's more prevalent in the actual history or a lack of research in the detail.

Then again the authors of these novels where Americans (who dressed in highland dress for the author photo; and claimed descendency from Bruce in their profile - didn't impress me at all!) It makes me wonder if American's could honestly write Scottish Historical fiction; they seem far too caught up in the myths.

Comments

• Well we start with the problem of whose history has the research come from? We all know that get a group of people together and they will each interpret the same thing in a different way- depending on their personal beliefs, experiences etc.
    I do think the problem is partly research, and partly the need to only use the most vital things that make 'your' point.

Yes, myths seem to become fact as far as some overseas researchers.
    It is very like the Victorians who produced these family trees of noble families- they weren't always very careful in getting the generations right, or the right guy (too many John's and William's at the same time).
    And of course in time new documents come to light which can give a very difficult conclusion to say twenty years before- like the latest Robin Hode mention.
  • edited March 2009
    I am currently researching the early to mid Victorian era - I am looking at all sorts of areas - costume, names, occupations etc.

but I know I won't use most of it - I just want to have enough info so that I can put in key details for that period - not too much detail - the odd detail on clothes, what the streets look like, the odd reference to political goings on - I am basing it around the time that the police was being established - just to set the scene a little
  • favourite subject, historical writing is riddled with errors where either the research is faulty or they simply have misinterpreted it. Annoys the hell out of me ...
  • Chippy, have you looked at The Victorian web?

http://www.victorianweb.org/

I know another Talkbacker recommended it last year (sorry if it was you).

Agree with what Chippy said, you don't use it all, but you still need to know it- as often something will actually work to your advantage.
  • Yes, just come back from Stirling Castle - the gift shop had a book on medieval cookery (and samples of some very potent local whiskey liquer!) I think I'll go back and buy it. Also spent a good while admiring the Renaissance architecture (this week's reading, and my essay topic!)

Also popped into Stirling Library and came out with a pile of books on Scottish History/Medieval Scotland! The University library is also excellent; but I'll have to be quick it's getting a £13 million revamp soon.

I suppose I'm in a good position; I can seek out a Scottish History student at the University to proofread me for accuracy.

Dorothy, what would you say are the most common mistakes in historical fiction?
  • now there's a question - dates, times, places. Non fiction and fiction. There is a sense that sometimes the dialogue is wrong, it doesn't fit with the period, it is as if the author is trying too hard. Not quite 'forsooth' and 'have at thee,varlet' but close enough. It can be natural without overdoing the medieval bit.
    Jean Plaidy's book on Katherine of Aragon had Henry completely wrong from the off, so I gave up. Authors do need to understand all their characters properly. Philippa Gregory fails on this one. Her book "The Constant Princess" is riddled with errors about Katherine, who either did not do what she said she did or would not have thought the way she said she thought. She had that marriage completely wrong.
    I think basically it comes down to a lack of common sense when surveying the characters people want to write about. They were human beings, first and foremost. When that is remembered, everything else should fall into place. It doesn't always.
  • I been doing a bit of playing on the internet. I thought this might interest you Dorothy

http://susandhigginbotham.blogspot.com/2006/02/ten-more-rules-for-writing-historical.html
  • edited March 2009
    I liked numbers 8 and 10 the best on that list

thanks Stirling =)
  • I post regularly on her site, under my pen name of Antonia Woodville, that is one perfect list and it is absolutely correct, too!
  • Glad you liked it!

Sneaky Dorothy, v.sneaky!
  • :D
    2 is so true. ;)
  • yes, tis isn't it? I have a google account in that name, and one as Rose Rivers, too. Very useful at times.