Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

My entry to Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award has reached the quarter final stage

edited March 2009 in - Writing Tales
Have posted this in another thread, but what the hell, here it is too :)

Got the email this morning to tell me I was one of the last 500 with my SF book "Sympathy Jones".

See here for some cool reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/product-description/B001UG3CM6/ref=dp_proddesc_0?ie=UTF8&n=283155&s=books

Comments

• Well done!
  • Well done RG.
  • congratulations - great news
  • Way-hay! Well done, Paul! :)
  • Excellent news. Well done!
  • Wow, great! Don't forget to print off those reviews to keep!
  • Superb, RG! Good luck for the next stage.
  • All in the lap of the gods now I suppose... Not sure if I can get beyond this next stage because it seems to be a bit "friends voting for friends", but it is at least nice to get here :)
  • brilliant news!
  • Well done - fingers crossed for the next stage. :)
  • Excellent stuff, RG.
    A reward for your hard graft.
    And maybe more to come...
    ;)
  • Well done!
  • That's some achievement! Well done.
  • Well done RG, keep us posted.
  • edited March 2009
    Thank you all. I'll keep you posted if I hear of any updates.

Not entirly sure what I am supposed to be doing right now... Sit back and wait I suppose...
  • Ah - little problem there.... It seems as though anyone outside of the USA is currently bared from downloading my entry and reviewing it. Not sure if this is a permanent problem or a passing phase.... From their own forums it looks to be a permanent problem :(

Anyone here from the USA?
  • This happened last year, and it just isn't good enough.
  • Yeah, I was busy with all sorts of stuff last year so I was vaguley aware that some sort of contoversy dogged this compo, but didn't get into the meat of it until now... Trying now to unearth my US contacts to try and see of anyone I know there has time to do a review. Trouble is, because I cannot even download my entry, I cannot tell how much work I am asking them to do as a favour...
  • Okay, just been through my Facebook list and pimped myself to all my US based friends... I now feel dirty and require a shower!
  • :D
    If you want to get on;)
  • ah but the pimping bit... Feels like I just flashed my Y-Fronts down Oxford street...
  • :D
    Wear them over your tights and you'll get noticed! ;)
  • What? And get another ASBO? Not likely... I learnt my lesson the last dozen times that happened!
  • On a more serrious note, does anyone here have an active Amazon.com account? If so, apparently I can email a copy of my chapter and feedback can be given by anyone from any part of the world. They just can't download it directly...

Anyone up for that?
  • Hi, RG. You may have to buy a book to get one. I tried to post something to Amazon.com's forum, and couldn't for this reason; but my editor posted it on my behalf.
  • You can open an account without buying anything, but if you want to post reviews or to forums or to this competition you will need to have bought something. Just wondering because I know a few people on here have bought stuff from amazon.com...

Anyone want to do me a massive favour?
  • Hi RG. Very pleased to hear your news. Well done. I really do hope you can get further. it would be be great for you. Pity about the probs of gettting the review. I have an amazon account but it is .co.uk I think, rather than .com
  • Well done, RG.
  • Been reading some of the Amazon.com forums and one poster there said that last year a number of writers attempted a "gathering" of reviews. Basically encouraging their friends and family to post glowing reviews of their books. However, despite some books receiving 100's of these glowing "reviews", many of those books that reached the finals only had a few...

So, I guess Penguin need to like the book as well as reading lots of glowing reviews... Lots of ways think about that, don't you think?
  • Well done! I hope you get the probem of download sorted out.
  • Looking as though it's not going to be as big a problem as I thought it might be...
  • Crack on, sunshine!
  • So far I have managed to get 3 reviews. All postive. Some picking out the odd "typo" that driffted in.... Oppps.
  • Anyone fancy doing me a favour?

My book in the Amazon breakthrough awards is now available to view by Amazon Users outside the Sates. You need to have an active Amazon.com account and then you can download and review the opening chapter.

If anyone has the time for that, would appreciate it greatly.

http://www.amazon.com/Sympathy-Jones-Amazon-Breakthrough-Novel/dp/B001UG3CM6/ref=dp_return_1?ie=UTF8&n=283155&s=books
  • i'd love to do that if it can wait til monday? I've got 2 essays to do before then!
  • Sure. I think there is another 3 weeks left of this stage of the competition. When ever you have time would be great.
  • I can't, I don't have a bank account or credit/debit card :P
  • Or don't I need one?
  • edited March 2009
    You need an active Amazon.com account, which means you would have to have ordered something from them at some point in life.
  • I'll try RG but no guarantee's due to how I'm feeling at the moment.
  • edited March 2009
    Well I can't. I'm too young to have an online account for anything. If I want CD's or DVD's, I ask mum or dad to order it for me.

Sorry.
  • [quote=Jediya]I'll try RG but no guarantee's due to how I'm feeling at the moment. [/quote]

I believe there is at least 2 weeks left to run a review, so don't worry about it until you feel better.

@Probie, it's alright mate, don't order something just to run a review. I'm sure to get more volunteers who don't need to do that.
  • My first bad review today. I may have to sulk... :(

Looking at the reviews total, he does seem to give downbeat reviews... I'll take comfort where I can. Next... Self Delusion is the new black.
  • But did he give a good review to one particular person? Thay may be the answer to the bad reviews.
  • Oh what wicked webs we weave when first we venture to enter competitions on Amazon ;)
  • An update. The ABNA Expert Reviews are available now. The quote below is for my entry "Sympathy Jones". Nice review ;)

"A riviting page turner. I am not into paranormal or supernatural stuff or even murder stories, but I can see good writing and this is it. This woman has what would be a horrible gift of seing the acts of voilence after they happen. She is hired by the police to come to the crime scene and tell them what she sees and feels. It is a very tramatic thing for her and quite haunting.

After each event she has to go get drunk and find a man to bring home and have sex with her, this takes away the horrid scenes and releases her from them. Now she only has to deal with what she has just done. Such is her life.

I'd say this belongs on the BEST SELLER list. Again it is not my type of story but it is good and that is why I am reviewing it for merit, not my personal choice.

Great work. Good Luck."
  • Well done!
  • Good on you for getting your work out there. I admire your bravery!! well done
  • That's great.