Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Ladies No. 1 Detective Agency on TV (review)

edited March 2009 in - Reading
http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/tv_and_radio/article5939288.ece

I think A.A.Gill is being a bit hard on the TV version. The atmosphere stays faithful to the books which is what anyone who has read them will expect to find. The books are fiction, not true life, and were written by a man who seems to be genuinely fond of the country and its people.

Comments

• Having lived in Botswana I would say that it is very true to life. I haven't seen the series - just the first film (1st series episode on tape, should watch tomorrow). I'm really looking forward to it.
  • I've only read the first book in the series which I enjoyed. I've not see the TV series.
  • [quote=Jenny]The atmosphere stays faithful to the books which is what anyone who has read them will expect to find.[/quote]

Couldn't disagree more: I switched off after half an hour, because I felt that there was no atmosphere at all. The books have a sweet, slow charm, but the tv version to me felt just slow. And pointless.
  • That's a shame!
  • I enjoyed it... it's nice to watch something that isn't cut, cut, cut, fight, fight, fight, murder, mayhem and loud music for once... it's gentle and sweet.

I used to think that maybe the books were a bit patronising to the people, but then a lot of people who have been there said it's just like that, so you have to accept they are right
  • I watched the first one, then the new set of Lewis started on ITV 1, so I haven't seen the other episodes. I agree it was a bit too slow, it was missing something.
  • We've been recording the Lewis Carol! Now how often do you think I'll get to put those two words togehter???!!!!
  • edited March 2009
    LizB - :D !!

I've just been wondering about the reasons for people not enjoying TV or film versions of books.

One would be when the actors don't "fit". With LDA they are all much as I visualised them.

I read the Cadfael books and Derek Jacobi in the TV version never seemed right. He didn't look like an ex-soldier. When I was reading the books I had in mind Sean Connery as he appeared in The Name of the Rose!
  • I enjoy Cadfael but then I've never read the books.
  • Like the Botswana books, they make good bedtime reading!