Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Small Press Publications

edited March 2009 in - Reading
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this or not, but yesterday I visited a small press website and read that due to a 40% drop in subscriptions over the last year (they point to the recession as the cause) they have now ceased publication. This has raised some serious concerns for me, as I hope to one day have some of my short stories accepted by such small press publications.

Without mentioning any names (I'm sure it wouldn't be appropriate in such a forum) I wonder if any talkbackers currently subscribe to such publications? Are you thinking of not re-subscribing this year due to current financial pressures? I ask these questions because I wonder how much of a drop in subscription numbers these low-cost small presses (most varying between £11 to £20) can afford before they are no-longer viable. Like most things at the moment, this is another area of our lives, as writers, that could be under threat - I read today that yet another weekly magazine is dropping their short fiction!

I wonder what other Talkbackers think?

Comments

• I don't subscribe to small press magazines - I used to way back when I began writing, though and tried to keep as many subs going as I could, but they folded as fast as they began. I have a small press magazine myself, the only way it has kept going (I am into my 11th year) is because I have the use of the office technology, laser printer, etc. to churn out the quarterly issues and I subsidise it very heavily indeed. £11 to £20 is a lot of money. My subscription is £5.50. I would be dropping all subs if they were that much money. It's hard to keep up with all the demands, I am a member of the Royal Society of St George, of the Churches Conservation Trust and a couple of others. I have had to drop membership of several charities I was supporting by the month, could not afford it any more. I am not surprised the magazines are going under, it is very very hard to sustain a subscription level at the best of times and this is not the best of times.
  • Advertising is often a supporting element, and as tv channels have found companies can't afford to advertise as much.
  • dorothyd - I didn't think £11 to £20 was a lot of money, when you think of up to six issues a year and the price including post and packing (I subscribe to one which costs £12; only £2 an issue). However, I didn't know some small press releases were as low as £5.50 - though as you say that is heavily subsidised, so not a true reflection of what it actually costs, and you don't mention how many issues a year.

You are quite right, I'm sure it is not easy in the best of times and it is inevitable that some will close. Nevertheless, still lost opportunities for both beginning and more experienced writers if established small presses have to close.
  • As ITV are finding, Carol!
  • Which weekly magazine is dropping its fiction, littlewanda?
    There are few enough left that publish it anyway. It will be very depressing to see another one go.
  • Best are dropping their five-minute fiction. I think they have said this is in response to what their readership wants - more celebratory features etc.
  • Oh, that's Ok then - I already knew about that one and I thought there was going to be another one too!
    Thanks
  • If we lose anymore there will be a lot of poor writers, and readers.
  • Unfortunately I can see a lot more folding, as people don't have the money any more. I would be hard put to find that kind of sub for something I might not really enjoy any more, I never used to read all the stories in any of the magazines I once subscribed to. All of them have since disappeared. There was that very classy horror magazine FEAR which folded through lack of support and lack of advertising revenue. My magazine is quarterly, works out at £1.30 per issue but I do aim at spiritualists and spiritually minded people who love it to bits, I am pleased to say.
    The problem is lack of advertising. If you tell people you only have a very limited circulation, you don't get advertising as it isn't worth while to spend the money. And then, the subscribers might not buy from the advertisers (something that happens all the time with those who advertise with me, not one has sold a book through my pages in 10 years or signed up for life coaching - the only thing which works is adverts for readings and psychic art) so the advertisers don't go back. Tis very hard times for major people, let alone small press. But, there are always new and enthusiastic people starting up, check Lights guide to small press and see what there is out there.
  • I subscribe to two. Hope they don't fold!
  • dorothyd I saw an advert for the Lights 2007 list recently. I had a look on their website and can't find any link to buy it. Does anyone know a way to get hold of it?
  • I've just Googled 'Light's list of small press'

This was the first of what came up

Light’s List of Small Press Publications. £1.50 from John Light, 37 The Meadows, Berwick upon Tweed, Northumberland, TD 15 1 NY.
  • He's been there for years and years, I used to get this guide when I first began writing, 30 years ago. It's a reliable source, as far as any source can be reliable when magazines fold very quickly.
  • Thanks, Betsie