Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

first line given for short story

edited April 2009 in - Writing Tales
Hi Everyone, I would like to share with you that in last months writing news I took the first line that was given for a comp. Although i didnt enter the comp. I continued with my story and sent it to a regional newspaper for consideration. They accepted it and it was published last week. I am so happy. Thank you to my fav mag for the inspiration with the first line!!!

Comments

• Well done!
  • Congratulations.
  • Well done, Monty. That's the way to go.
  • well done Monty
  • Congratulations!
  • Many Congratulations, that's fantastic!!!!!
  • well done monty!
  • Brilliant news - congratulations
  • great to have that news, Monty! Here's to more successes.
  • congralations!
  • or rather, congratulations!
  • Well done!
  • Congrats!
  • Yay Monty! Well done!
  • yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

"... go monty go monty go monty ..."
  • Well done Monty! I think you missed a trick, though. You could have put it in for the competition first (£100 prize if you win) and then, if you didn't win, put it out to the newspaper. That way you would have had two bites at the cherry.
  • Well done, Monty
  • Congratulations
  • Thank you everyone for your good wishes. can any of you help me out regarding how many stories you would need for an anthology?? Ive had some success with my short stories. I was wondering although they have been published can I still put them in an anthology or must it be completely new work? I take your advice too Richt, what it is to have brains !!
  • Anthology: Best Gay Romance 2009 - 1
    Anthology: Kaleidoscope - 2
    Collection: A Different Kind of Love - 19
    Collection: The Loss of Innocence - 28
    Collection: Slubberdegullion - 20
    Novel(la) plus stories: Precipice - 9

Re being already published - probably depends on terms of publication; and on what your anthology/collection publisher wants.

Best of luck!
  • Kick on, Monty!!
  • Wow, very good news...well done. What was the first line?
  • it was a dark and stormy night.

Most original, I thought.
  • Congratulations!
  • Well done.
  • The first line was "Sam wasn't sure if it was a wonderful sign or a sign of disaster,but Sam thought the only way to find out was.... " It was in the magazine , I think it was Feb's issue Robin.
  • Stan what is that ^ please?
  • ^ is Stan bouncing the thread back to the top just in case people have missed it and have something to add.
  • I think Stan may have done it for me and as I have only just noticed this it is very helpful, so thank you Stan.
  • Thanks for explaining that Celtic C and Robin. Thanks Stan. Ive alot to learn yet so sorry about silly questions.
  • There are no such things as "silly questions" on this site Monty - ask away with need to apologise, you don't ask, you don't learn. :)
  • Well done Monty! :-)