Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

New Birmingham library (article)

edited April 2009 in - Reading
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_midlands/7977355.stm

I wonder how many books it will have, compared to the old library.

Comments

• It sounds like books are an afterthought...
  • I applaud the new plans. The old one is older than I am. I feel depressed whenever I go there, so it's long overdue.
  • edited April 2009
    They replaced one of our local libraries with a new building (so they could build flats on the original site). The new library doesn't have nearly as many books.
  • That's a shame. They should take this into consideration, but sometimes the planners don't get it right. (Not my favourite subject). I hope the new Birmingham Library has room for loads more books.
  • The best library building I've ever encountered is still the Luton Library...it's got beautiful stacks, far more books than even my local one, plenty of nooks and crannies and the top floor is actually a small theatre. The Luton Library also, unlike my one, allows its local writing group to meet inside the library after hours (but the library has a security guard anyway.)
  • What ever happend to the days were we all rushed to the library at weekends to pick out the next fantastic book thats was going to be our for the next 2 weeks and if you really liked it you would put it on your wish list for birthday or christmas . are these days gone forever or will the credit crunch turn back time ?