Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Is the novel dead?

edited April 2009 in - Reading
Is the novel dead? I ask this question because of the article on page 35 of May's Writers' News. Is it "old-fashioned and one-dimensional"? Does it seem "flat and dull" in comparison with new media?

Comments

• edited April 2009
    no way!!! its the people that are not being taught to enjoy reading at a young age! take for example Eragon book is 100% better than the movie! one dimensional? you get to see inside the characters' heads in a book whereas a movie you don't!

edit: i haven't read the article yet...but will have time to tomorrow since i don't have any more hockey...
  • That gets reeled out every now again.

Some time in the year 15,356 they may be right.
  • Flat and dull in comparison with new media? Depends how you like your entertainment I suppose. Reading is a quiet solitary activity. Do we always want to be bombarded with voices on audio tapes, looking at a screen? It's an alternative that's all. Maybe it is old fashioned because it has been around a long time. So what. Doesn't spoil the enjoyment.
  • Are they wheeling that nugget out again.

They work out how to do internality in films without resorting to voice overs, then I'll think about it.
  • A book you can imagine the characters as they come over to you, rather than a casting director saying we must have big stars play those parts.
    Gimme a book any day.
  • Absolutely, a book any time.
  • If it was we would all be out of job or hobbie or whatever it is you call it.

To put it in laymans terms... we'd be buggered. Or we'd have to turn our hands to poetry...
  • Well, I would have to say I enjoy a good film. A weepy romance, an action-packed thriller, good acting, good dialogue, a good musical score. A film is a lot quicker in its entirity then a book. But of course I get lost in the richness of books too, especially fiction. These are two related entities, or media, and they offer different enjoyment.
  • edited April 2009
    The novel better not be dead - might flaw my plan of world domination via the mode of writing somewhat! ;)

I love reading - various genres - crime, thrillers, horror, chick lit, autobiographies.

I do like watching various programmes and films too but books are brilliant for situations that TV doesn't work with - on the train for instance! I love reading on train journeys - the only thing is I can't read on a bus or in the car - other than a map - it makes me feel sick for some reason! :rolleyes:
  • edited April 2009
    I feel sick if I try reading in a car - it's more diffucult if I am driving
  • I think a lot of people love novels too much to let it die. There's something about snuggling up in bed with a good book.
  • edited April 2009
    Absolutely, Kangaroo!
    As film4's been running a season of film adaptations, i watched a few, and they just couldn't compare to the books (though that said, i like the film version of Howl's Moving Castle somewhat more, just because it has a happy romantic ending).
    However as good as books are, if no one's willing to extoll their virtues to the next generation then likely over time, the novel will die. I still support the idea that reading needs to be encouraged in schools a lot more and that more book events need to be held in schools, as it is often a case that you can't drag the horse to water (or the blacksmith, the way some kids kick up a fuss about it)
  • My sister loves HMC too; although I think she prefers the book more.

I agree TD. This is why I like the idea of Readers. Maybe kids will be more likely to pick up a novel if it is something to download.

Scary fact: getting the bus to work last week I realised I was the only one holding a book. I used to remember travelling to work at Newcastle and it would be full of people reading.
  • When I go to work in the morning everyone seems to have a copy of the Metro...but like I said I feel sick reading when I'm on the bus...
  • Ditto Chippy - I can't even look down at my lap for 5 seconds without feeling sick !

The day the novel is dead will be a very sad day for imagination.....
  • The novel dead? Not in my book (pardon the pun).

You can't beat the feel of a good novel in your hand, feeling the turn of the page as the pace picks up, revisiting characters you care and think about and anticipate meeting again on each sitting, whether it be on the beach, park bench or the loo (for the blokes).

We should ALL ensure the novel never dies!!!
    ;)
  • I think I've been working to hard . . .

Does Col B have an heroic alter ego?
  • edited April 2009
    Just thought that since I trust you all, it was time to unveil the mask and reveal my true identity!!!
    ;)
    I can go back to Col B if it's thrown you...
  • oh no - so that who he is!!
  • :) & :(
  • So is that your real surname? Or a pseudonym?
  • Real. Nothing to hide.
    Well...
    :D
  • So what is your special power then?
  • Up until now, I've always imagined you being an ex-army man (as in Colonel B) ! Oops!
  • Col, I know your name anyway...
  • He might be Colonel Col!
  • The novel will never die. There are just too many ways to enjoy one. Since the written word, books, novels, whatever have entertained people for centuries. Even with the advent of computer technology rising up in every aspect of our lives, this still has not changed.

Long live the book! Long live the novel.
  • I picked up a book lately that was called 'Elizabethan Novels'.

Eh? The first novel was Robinson Crusoe in the 18th century. The editor needs shooting for that one!
  • Pity we can't name and shame...
  • I thought the first novel was that 'Pamela'?
  • If you Wiki it, there seem to be a few with a claim;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_novel_in_English

Mostly after Elizabeth, it has to be said..... ;-)