Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Hopping Mad!

edited April 2009 in - Reading
Just watched BBC Breakfast to hear a Mathematician say 'in an English Essay you can waffle on.'

What? No you can not. If you're not razor-sharp and precise you'll end up with a third class degree. I could say something about symbology bearing no relationship to the concepts they represent; but won't. This is why I hate mathematicians/ scientists - they look down on the arts as 'easy.' I wouldn't disrespect the scientists by saying a similar thing; so why do they do so with the arts?

So what do they think of literature/ fiction in general? Pieces of fluff? This is really sad; no wonder literacy is at so low levels. Academics should be support each others disciplines. Lets face it - before you teach maths, kids need a decent grasp of literacy first!

Comments

• A bit strong, Stirling - not all scientists and mathematicians should be tarred with the same brush.
    I am a scientist yet respect everyone in their abilities and chosen field of interest. Knocking one doesn't help another.
  • edited April 2009
    Likewise, KJ, being a mathematician myself.
    I understand why you are upset, Stirling, but it works both ways. There are plenty of people who will say that maths is 'just adding up' and that being numerate is unimportant. How many times do you hear people happily say 'Oh I can't read, ha ha' (never) whereas people will boast about being rubbish at maths. Now that IS depressing!
  • I tend to agree with Stirling, despite the other very good comments and points. Such statements uttered on TV are extremely damaging to those struggling to produce a first class essay in which they do not waffle on. It's an unfortunate statement and the guy should be made to retract it, as publicly as the first time he said it. We who deal in words need clarity, not waffle and he should have known better.
  • Well, as someone who studied accountancy and had to write essays for
    that, I can say there was never room for waffle. Tutors and examiners
    want facts - whatever the subject. English is no different, in fact I would
    say that it's even more important. Waffle is boring.

I would think that the chap on TV was lost for something constructive to
    say and, dare I say it, waffled himself? Sort of sounds rude, doesn't it?
  • Dorothy, I certainly wasn't disagreeing with Stirling's feeling about what the chap said, and I don't believe KJ was either. Of course he shouldn't have said it.

It was the 'This is why I hate mathematicians/ scientists ' generalisation that followed in Stirling's post that I objected to.
  • yes, I can see that.