Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Throwing Books Across The Room

edited April 2009 in - Reading
What does it take for you?

I got 30 pages into Michael Robotham before it finally got started with the story that was featured on the blurb. Then there was the unneccesary detail (I don't need a info dump about a cold case crime thank you); and the last straw when he put a character from one of his other series, a psychologist who developed Sherlock Holmes type powers.

Comments

• ouch....the first book i ever threw across the room was the Buffy the Vampire Slayer book 'Chosen', which was a novelisation of the whole seventh season....and every page had at least ten errors...it was a book that had been rushed through the printers and that had definitely had absolutely NO proofreading or editing done on it, with wrong characters saying the wrong things, words misspelled, hardly any grammar...A BIG waste of money.
  • know the feeling ...not had one like that lately, but in the past, yes, Michael Shea who uses *italics* in every sentence. Unreadable.
  • Hmm. I would never, ever throw a book across the room (unless, perhaps, I was being attacked and it happened to be the only weapon to hand).
    To me, books are precious things, however good or bad they are, however great the match or mismatch with my own particular taste. Whatever you might think of a particular book, it will have been the result of someone's hard and lonely work and deserves respect. Somebody out there will have liked it, or it would never have been published.
    No, if I don't get on with a book, then I will gently put it to one side and move on to another book. There are two types of book that I don't get on with. One is a book that bores me; the other is one that is so dark and depressing that I begin to see no hope for the main character (Ruth Rendell's non-Wexford books have that effect on me).
    There are, though, some people whom I would gladly throw across the room - top of the list being book burners, book throwers, and those idiots who think they have the right to 'edit' library books, usually in blue ballpoint pen, and almost inevitably incorrectly.
    So there! ;-)
  • Richt, I agree with you about those who write in books!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I bought a (very expensive) rare copy of a set of John Drinkwater poems, from about 1918. The pages are brown and fragile, after all this time, as it was printed in the war years, it was not the best quality paper. Some idiot has marked virtually every poem with pencil and the paper is too fragile for me to attempt to rub it out.
  • Biro of course will eventually fade but pencil marks will remain forever.
  • I've never thrown a book across the room. When I was working towards my D32 assessor's award I did throw my evidence portfolio across the room. But the powers that be had just changed the format for the fourth time! I then went for a pint!
  • Dorothy - if the marks had been made by for example John Betjeman or another later Laureate, that would make them a) very very interesting and b) very very valuable!!! I agree in principle cos I really hate finding library books where some smartass has found a typo and been very clever and let everyone know he/she spotted it.
    You Mustn't Hurt Books! No Throw Zone!
  • I've never thrown a book anywhere, but if I cannot get on with them, I simply leave and move on to the next. I was given a Frederick Forsythe book, but after forty or so pages I was bored rigid waiting for something 'exciting' to happen. The last book that made me cringe was Brown's Da Vinci Code. I read to the end, but it was hard work.

Perhaps it does comes down to taste. All writers are not the same. We like a certain film, or we like a certain piece of music, and so it's the same with certain literature. As richt pointed out, someone worked hard to produce it, so we have to respect that.
  • edited April 2009
    Many many years ago at school, we were made to read 'Homo Faber' by Swiss author Max Frisch. I loathed it without being able to explain why, and hurled it across the room with great force when I was finished. However, after a couple of weeks of classroom discussion and analysis with our German teacher, I re-read it and went on to read several other Frisch novels. That was one great teacher (Frau Oehmig).

The moral of the story: the book was so powerful that it created a strong reaction in me. That counts as a Very Good Thing. I don't think I've hurled a book since, except perhaps in a spontaneous outburst provoked by the target, not the missive.

Bad books: I tend to drop them limply, carelessly rather than hurl them.
  • Richt: I'm afraid you and I are now at 'war'...

I recently incinerated and entire encyclopaedia Britannica.
    After unsuccessfully attempting to sell them, then leaving them on the wall outside my house with a big sign saying 'free books' (until it rained and I brought them in two weeks later), having had them returned to me from my local 2nd hand bookshop who usually accept anything they can sell for 10p or more (it's on my block and I'm friends with the owners), and having two other encyclopaedia (either more up to date or incredibly old) ...
    I burnt half at Beltane and used the rest as filler for plant pots, and great fertiliser they made too.

And I don't even feel the slightest bit guilty. So there!
    PS. there's something entrancing about watching the pages curl under heat.
  • Ooo and I threw a copy of The Sword of Shanara from a moving vehicle...
  • That actually sounds like really fun extreme sports....ya know...that could be a good way to have free fun (you know how everything costs something nowadays....) a book burning festival, and each day is dedicated to the destruction of one genre...I vote that Monday be the Destruction of Tearful Family Confessions, i.e. Please Daddy, No, Don't Tell Mummy, Damaged, When Daddy Comes Home, Abandoned, Dance for your Daddy, Deliver Me From Evil, Don't Ever Tell, I Just Wanted to be Loved, Cry Silent Tears, The Little Prisoner, Our Little Secret...
  • I also propose a number of different ways to destroy the books....A tub of water, a garden incinerator (bring your own marshmallows), a compost heap....well, i'll need ideas for more ways to destroy the books, in a way that can be done on a field (i.e. no access to motorway bridges *sniffs sadly* )
  • I don't throw books...but I know when I'm not getting on with a book when I start to skip chapters in an attempt to get to the end faster...

the last book I did that with was 'Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister' by Gregory Maguire - I liked his books based on the Wizard of Oz but I was only half way through this one when I started skipping chapters - so I abandoned it...I may return to it one day but it won't be anytime soon...
  • My job in Oxfam requires me to destroy damaged and worthless books (which are recycled).

I think it's my growing editorial instinct that makes me short tempered with poor books.
  • just out of curiosity Stirling - how/where do you get rid of the books - where I work I have been assigned the task of disposing of out of date law books - and it is proving difficult - best thing I have found is recycle.co.uk where it is like ebay but you give stuff away

but I get the feeling no one will want them
  • We recycle them. Remove the paper from the hardbacks (the cardboard and plastic is recycled separately) and the council takes them away.

What about University libraries. Hey, I've used some books dating back to the 1950's! Surely they would of interest to historians and law students?
  • I have a vague memory that some motorway is built on a layer of unsold Mills & Boons.
  • Yes it is true, they were using old M&B's to make up some road layers.
  • Really? Are you serious? I love that story! http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/happy/happy0007.gif
  • http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_midlands/3330245.stm

out of interest
  • Oooh - my Nanna won't like that! She has Mills & Boons going back to the 60's! She certainly wouldn't give up her books for anything like that...or anything come to that!
  • You know what, at the moment in Oxfam we have three crates full of M&B. There are so many that even selling them for 5 for £1 still taking weeks to shift them! Interestingly enough it seems to be the older ladies buying them!
  • M&B are heading for a fall IMO.
    They are increasing the number of books each month in some series; changing the covers YET AGAIN, and that always means a price rise six months later! Plus they have gone into e-books and other ventures. They are going the way of other companies expanding too quickly to compete.