Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Crime Evidence Question

edited May 2009 in - Reading
Does anyone know what happens to evidence after the trial? Is it destroyed or stored somewhere. Just asking because I need my character to go through the evidence to make a new discovery on a cold 'solved' case.

Thanks.

Comments

• Well, I am under the impression because of the amount of murder programmes I watch, they store it in case it needs to be reopened and stuff. I don't think it's destroyed.

Then again, I dunno how true these programmes are to the truth.
  • Interesting question.
  • I've had to research this, plus brother in law is a copper. Evidence has to be kept ( in case of retrials etc)
  • Evidence must be stored as some people have been released years after imprisonment because new DNA techniques etc have proved them innocent. I suppose it's held for appeals?
  • Thanks.

Red, do you know where (and how?) it is stored and how long it takes to retrieve it?
  • Not off hand, but I can ask brother in law when I next see him. He can ask the necessary people. Might take a about week to get it.
  • That would be great!

No hurry, I have two essays due on Monday and a Scottish History exam on Wednesday. Novel firmly on the back burner until Wednesday!
  • No probs, I'll see what I can find out for you.
  • It may be a different policy for the various types of crime.

From personal experience, in south-west England, I can affirm that:

a) Break-ins with violence and theft - items are returned to their owner once criminal proceedings are completed.

b) Assault and robbery - possessions are returned to owners if requested or destroyed once court processes have been finalised.

c) Stolen goods that have been retrieved are stored for a maximum of twelve months before being offered for sale.

Storage space is limited and the various police forces have policies for keeping and relinguishing property.
  • What about something like CCTV footage?
  • Did anyone ever find out?