Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Who Said Publishing Was Recession Proof?

edited May 2009 in - Reading
http://www.thebookseller.com/news/84951-ss-first-quarter-worse-than-expected.html

Not good: 20% decline and operating at a loss. Will some of the big names become victims of the Recession? I have to say I've probably only bought (except Uni books) about three new novels this year - I've been utilizing Stirling's Charity Shops!

Comments

• Simon & Schusters is a name I avoid ever since they published 'Chosen', for the Buffy the Vampire Slayer franchise. It had no signs of proofreading whatsoever...it was littered VERY liberally with spelling mistakes throughout, name mistakes and much more. It was the single worst book, see the reviews posted for it on Amazon and you'll see what I mean.
    They are also a low moral bunch...they published Meg Cabot's lesser known (but better in my opinion) series: Missing and Mediator, under Meg Cabot's psuedonym Jenny Carroll. When they didn't get enough sales, they had a hissy fit, withdrew the books, repackaged them....fine enough. BUT then they tried to rip off the readers of the Mediator series by completely retitling the books so in essence they were actually trying to trick the readers into buying their books TWICE!

I would never send my books to them anyway because of those reasons. If they go under, I won't shed a single tear.
  • Lots of publishers do that. I can remember the receptionist where I worked in London used to read Mills and Boon books, she was always upset by the fact that she'd buy a new one and a chapter or so in find it was exactly the same book she'd read a year ago under a different title and cover.
  • They are still doing that Liz with their collections. The 'collections' usually are books that have been published in the past few years- so I always check the copyright date for the stories included.
    When Nora Roberts moved to a different publisher to continue her newer style writing, and her JD Robb books, M&B got the right to reissue her romance backlist- so there are a lot of readers who will have already read them/still have the original; but it is great for picking up the ones you missed first time.