Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Bryson's Dictionary for Writers and Editors

edited May 2009 in - Reading
(BILL) BRYSON'S DICTIONARY FOR WRITERS AND EDITORS

May be worth a look.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/books/article-1181573/Bill-rights-wrongs-BRYSONS-DICTIONARY-FOR-WRITERS-AND-EDITORS-BY-BILL-BRYSON.html

Comments

• Thanks Jay.
  • I have the original Writers' and editors' dictionary and have only ever used it a few times... the times I really want to know something it doesn't seem to hold the answer although I understand he's updated it and expanded it a lot...
  • I bought Bryson's book on Amazon, having read a good review. It arrived today. I think it's very much a dip-into book, as it's laid out just like a dictionary, alphabetically with definitions, but includes stuff a dictionary might not have, like celebrities and place names, company names like easyjet, some modern slang, and the correct spelling of unusual plurals, like mongooses. Also lists hard to spell words, but doesn't give what they mean, eg assessor, barracuda, hallelujah. A strange mixture, and I'm not sure I will actually use it much.
  • Is there anything Bill Bryson DOESN'T know?!
  • So who is this yankee teaching us English! We spoke the lingo before the Americans.
  • Thanks for that. I'll take a look.
  • LizLiz
    edited May 2009
    Actually, we didn't, they were also English in the main... plus of course, they have kept many old pronunciations which we have lost, and there are areas in America where they speak English as it used to be spoken a very long time ago... maybe more English than us!

He has chosen to live over here too, so I guess his research will be English based rather than American.
  • We speak as it was spoken years ago, too, in the area where I live. It's a close to ancient Anglo-Saxon/Old English that now exists. I think some parts of south west England do as well. Perhaps some areas in America have variants of this.
  • I wonder if I posted my piece on tank tops. (If I didn't, you'll just have to wonder what on earth I'm talking about.)
  • edited May 2009
    Drat. Oh, I found it. I searched through the comments. Tanka, tankard, King Tut and, of course, tank. Only to find it was a topic in its own right!

If you want to read the riveting/rivetting??? discussion about tank tops, just do a search (of topics) for it.
  • I don't want to read it! No offence to Jay! ;)