Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

A sad French tale

edited May 2009 in - Writing Tales
We arrived in south west France a few days ago. The neighbours on either side of us are elderly ladies. The Blacksmith’s widow keeps herself to herself, is ninety if she’s a day, and still dresses smartly with full make-up to hobble down to the boulangerie (that’s chic French women for you).
Last year when we moved in, the other neighbour, Luisette, made every effort to talk to me and was very patient with my appalling lack of language. She would say something and make me repeat it back to her until she was satisfied with my pronunciation. The fact that I had no idea what I was saying was quite irrelevant. Luisette would pat my hand in smiling approval and toddle off, softling mumbling the words to herself.
Before we left in January, I gave Luisette my post box key so she could look after our post. We exchanged hugs and she wished us Bon Voyage.
When we arrived both houses were closed up and we hoped our ladies were merely visiting relatives. Yesterday, another neighbour handed me my backlog of post and told me that Luisette had fallen and died in her home. The Blacksmith’s widow is away recuperating - also from a fall in her home, and may never return.
So sad!
p.s. sorry this first tale isn't one to 'lighten your day' as promised

Comments

• That's sad, Claudia.
    Hold on to the good memories - there's nothing else you can do.
    I imagine that the whole atmosphere of the place has now changedfor you.
  • That must have been a blow to you, hearing about these nice people. I'll bet you do your bit for contributing warmth to the neighbourhood, nonetheless.
  • sad to come back to that, Claudia, what a shame. Hope you can enjoy your time there anyway.
  • What a shame, Claudia. I hope that at least the Blacksmith's widow will be okay, and hopefully will return.
  • Aaaaah. That is sad.
  • Very sad, but hopefully you have the good memories.
  • Oh that is sad...poor things.
  • That's very sad, Claudia. Luisette sounds wonderful. I'm glad you have some happy memories of them both.
  • :( How awful, Claudia.
  • Thanks for the messages. I barely knew Luisette, and we could barely communicate - BUT! It was one of those things that happen in life: rapport. We liked each other; warmth and friendliness shone through the language barrier... she taught me something precious about communication. I'll hold that little lady's memory dear to me.
  • :( (There's ALWAYS a 'but'.) The lovely thing is that she'll be remembered, Claudia.