Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Television programmes 18th-22nd May 2009

edited May 2009 in - Reading
Mon-Fri BBC1 2:15pm - Moving On (one-off dramas)

Wed BBC2 9pm - Why Poetry Matters

Fri BBC2 9pm - Off By Heart (first national poetry recitation competition for schoolchildren - anything to do with you, Liz?)

Comments

• Great selection.
    Thanks for highlighting it Jay.
  • Tis Jay, I'm really looking forward to it! And I want all you TBers who watch to tell me who you think should have been in the top 3...
  • Remind us Friday morning Liz.
  • Also, Sky Arts begin their coverage of the Hay Festival from this Friday on Sky Arts 1.
  • Can you bump this again on Wednesday afternoon, otherwise I will forget and I am at my writers group on that evening...
  • Coming to think of it, they did an awful lot of filming of the audience, I'm not sure i want any of you watching me trying not to cry...
  • I enjoyed the programme the other day on BBC 4 about Sylvia Plath's poetry and tonight at 9.30pm is Poetry Please.
  • Yes, I watched that programme on Sylvia Plath and thought it was quite good.
  • Don't forget: 2:15pm today!
  • Lowering the tone somewhat ... Radio BBC7 ... The Goon Show is about to start!
  • Any thoughts on the play?
  • No? Well, I thought the reactions a bit extreme; and the ending rather too neat/not much in keeping with the rest of it.

Don't forget, there's another one on today, Tuesday.
  • edited May 2009
    The first Moving On was interesting for a lot of reasons, but mainly because I couldn't shake the feeling that I was "watching" an afternoon radio play. If you see what I mean?

The story itself was well driven, if a little patchy in places with some uncertain editing - various cuts made a hash of keeping the viewer emerged and engaged, but I understand that some of this was to do with the time of day the play was shown.

Character wise it's difficult to fault anything Sheila Hancock does, even if at times the script felt centred on her, with various other characters living 2D lives in sypher kind of way. The son and the daughter, well played by both, seemed to struggle with the lack of good dialogue and the lack of emotional ranges. They were either "kids on the make" or "kids being angry" - grown up kids that is. The grandchildren also seemed woefully underused.

But this is all from a writers view point. From my viewers viewpoint (if you will) I was never bored, always interested in what would happen to the characters, and never felt the plot left the bounds of reality... As I said above, some of the directional and editing decisions jerked me from the story, as did some clunky dialogue, in particular the reference to Gekas being paid mercenaries (a moot point, but is there any other kind of mercenary?), but by and large I enjoyed this very much.

Looking forward to the one for today (Tuesday), but I need to record it as I am off to watch Stiffy in Oxford.
  • There's no answer to that. :-)
  • RG do you think the amount of time it had to do it all in had an effect? You mentioned the editing...
  • we have just finished doing poetry in Lit and i actually really enjoyed it... i didn't enjoy analysing poetry in high school but now, 3 years on, i felt it all just clicked... i mean we looked at a series of Ted Hughes poems The Crow... my group had to look at Crow Tyrannosaurus... and the more i read it the more i found things to make notes on! in high school i would have just sat there going, "what?" but now i actually enjoyed it. but now we are finished poetry... have the assignment... now we are starting MacBeth... we have 3 weeks to go thru MacBeth and the assignment (I think..it could be 2 weeks)...
  • Don't forget: play this afternoon, and poetry tonight.
  • [quote=Jay Mandal]RG do you think the amount of time it had to do it all in had an effect? You mentioned the editing... [/quote]

Well they had an hour and other programmes manage in that time... I don't think it was a lack airing time, it looked to me more like a lack of production time, or perhaps money, which is essentially the same dog but with different fleas.

The second one that I watched, about the two families living opposite each other, going to DefCon2 in a bout 5 minutes worked a little better, perhaps because the subject matter felt a little more focused. The ending though was again a little too twee for me... Difficult to believe these two men would just carry on as before considering all that had passed between them.

"I know you spray painted my car."
    "I know you grassed me to my missus about that tart I had on the side."
    "I know you called the police around on me."
    "I know you threatened to kill my son...."

Together "but let's just be friends...."

Not really there is it? Even with the cracks hinted at by the two women looking at each other right at the very end, just before they closed their doors and moved on with life...

The estate agent one was a little "by the numbers" for me. The drug mule plot line was both obvious and dull, which just left the dialogue, which was largely pants, but well delivered by some classy acting. But again the direction and the editing was pretty bad, leaving the actors to turn in just okay performances when they could have been outstanding!

I think if the BBC wants to do this again, they need to look at production values, which in places like direction and editing showed a lack of time and polish.

Still, looking forward to the one later today!!!

PS - Film in Oxford was called Shifty not stiffy !!! Ooops!
  • Ah, it was Carol. But I was wondering if less than forty-five minutes is really enough time for a full-length play.
  • Hope no one's planning to watch them later, RG! :-)
  • I thought Thursday's might have been better had we not known from the beginning what the son was up to.
  • Yeah, the camera work on the shot of "someone" getting out of the bath, getting dressed, then the slow pan up the mirror to finally reveal that it was.... The SON! Was all wasted because the programme synop gave it away... Could they not have written "husband comes home to find sexy clothes, wife denies all, but in this house, some one hides a guilty secret...." At least then it wouldn’t have pissed away the directors attempt at adding a punchy surprise, even if we could all see it coming...

Odd really, this has been a really good idea that seems to have been flogged to death by the production department, who either didn't give a toss about production values, or simply couldn't be bothered to give it any respect, looking at the series as a CV entry for themselves.

What's the famous line? A camel is a horse constructed by a committee. Moving On is a great idea, reduced to an average week of plays by poor production and a lack of attention to detail. Shame!
  • Last play today. Wonder if it'll be full of threats &/or violence like the others.

And don't forget tonight's poetry. LIZ, WHAT WERE YOU WEARING - THE COLOUR, I MEAN? SO WE CAN LOOK OUT FOR YOU.
  • Yes it has been a bit shouty hasn't it. Have to say, being mid day, I seem to find myself missing the sex... Never really thought of it as important, but the way it is filmed, the attitude of the characters during sex seems to express a great deal of who they are and what their motivations are...
  • Did anyone see Off by Heart?
  • Just watched it on I-player. I thought the winner was very good, but I also liked the girl in pink who we saw splashing in the sea in wellies. She had a strong regional accent, if you see what I mean.
  • She was great and we thought she should have been in the final. Owain was brill too and the little boy in glasses.
  • oooh, just ntoiced the thing above Jay, I was making out this darned Arts council thing all day yesterday and didn't come in that often.

I was wearing purple! And I was on the right, as you look at the audience, near the end of a row on the right, and sitting next to Miles Chambers, who we gave a lift to, and he's very big and black. I saw myself once while the 11 year old was on near the start, not smiling i don't think, but then forgot to look again, and my friend said she saw me once and I was smiling and looked about 21. So clearly not like me at all!
  • One day left.
  • That's a bit sinister, Stan - one day until......? ;)
  • Saturday 6th June BBC2

There's a repeat of Off By Heart at 6pm; and a programme about TS Eliot at 9:45pm.
  • Watch out for a momentary glimpse of our own LizB.
  • I recorded Off By Heart as I was away so I watched it last night. Wow, what talented children. I can't remember being taught poetry at senior school let alone primary. I took my English Lit GCE when I was in my forties, we studied the poems of Tennyson which I enjoyed (we had a good teacher). It stirred my interest and I now find I read poetry whereas I never did before.
  • I saw part of the programme about T.S Elliot last night.
  • I saw that, too - thought it was great... to the point where I ordered a copy of his Four Quartets today.