Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Should yoghurt have anything removed?

edited May 2009 in - Reading
Do you write "yogurt" and I write "yoghurt" ? Does it matter if different countries spell it differently, or more specifically that English spelling is (currently) different to the American spelling?

As we know, language is contantly changing and evolving. Should the "h" be taken out of the word in this case, or would we then be in the "losing traditions" debate ?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-1187431/Is-yoghurt-cultured-yogurt.html

Comments

• I think yoghurt/yogurt is an exception and probably should lose the 'h'.
    If the original spelling in its country of origin is yogurt, then the 'h' has probably just got in via that British make it our own thing, or our strange pronounciation of words...:)
    But otherwise leave our spellings alone!
  • not to mention the pronunciation...

i pronounce it yo-gurt but spell it yoghurt...

how do you pronounce it?
  • yog-urt.
  • I say yog- urt, too.

We could get into the how do we pronounce place names here too, couldn't we? Especially as this is a Turkish word....

The french say Paree... I say Pariss, etc etc. ! (I think we have had this debate before ;) )