Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Wimbledon (Movie)

edited May 2009 in - Reading
Has anyone else seen this? I decided to check out the competition as I'm starting to research my thriller with the same setting.

My jaw hit the floor, how the hell didn't anyone get sued?

Paul Bettany's character wears the Fred Perry logo and plays with Head rackets. A secondary character was 100% Richard Gasquet. I'm also very suspicious that Bettany's character's friend is practically Andy Murray's best friend he met at the Spanish Academy! And I've just spotted the Federer rip off . . .

Don't even get me started on the way they are representing Wimbledon and the British . . .

*Don't you just love it when something makes you so mad that you think 'I'm going to better than this rip-off'*

Comments

• I've watched it a couple of times and have the DVD too. It's not a fantastic film, but I love it!

I don't know about the technical stuff you've mentioned, but it's still OK with me.
  • Feels like very lazy writing!

I watch too much tennis, that's why! (getting Sky in time for the US Open this time!)

They ain't foolin' anyone pretending Court two is Centre Court!
  • I'm looking at it from a different angle - romance with a happy ending. Throw John McEnroe in too, and I'm in heaven.
  • Yeah, wouldn't be Wimbledon without McEnroe!

I suppose as a thriller writer/reader the reason I love tennis is the rivalries and gladiator-style battles. Perfect for fiction!
  • The film just gives enough conflict to make it interesting - but it's really just a romance story set in a contemporary setting. I could pull it apart for technical problems, but would that make me happy?

Dare I say it, the tennis is irrelevant?

Would she really have been able to train in his trainers? I doubt she would have risked a blister.
  • Maybe in romance, no it isn't important.

With my book, I don't want tennis fans ripping my book to shreds like they did with Lionel Shriver's book.
  • A book would be different. I think non-tennis fans can enjoy Wimbledon (the film), but tennis fan would be drawn to your book.
  • I think Harlan Coben's Drop Shot was quite good. I hope non-tennis fans will pick up my book.

My sister is pointing out to me; that say Andy Murray punched Federer (even outside SW19); he would be automatically disqualified and in serious trouble with the ATP. Then there is the issue with purposely hitting a ball at a ball boy/girl (Tim Henman did this and got banned from Wimbledon for a year.)

While reading reviews on Amazon discovered I can get the Murray vs Gasquet match (2008) on DVD; so that will do me!
  • I did wonder about the punching.

You're right. A non-tennis fan will be attracted to the genre. I haven't read the HC book - although I am a fan of his.
  • I suppose it shows the different ways that writers work. The screenwriter wanted the tennis to be more of a backdrop; I want it to almost be another character in the book.
  • Grief that Wimbledon movie is quiet old now...
  • I've been avoiding it! (Probably why there is no knicker arranging Nadal character!)

Researching the new book Carol; and saw it was £3 in Tesco's. Still worth while for the extra features on Wimbledon.
  • :)
    I remember the promotion slots on Breakfast tv when it came out.
  • 2004 I think.

I say £3; but I'm now spending £12 on the DVD of last year's match!
  • I really love the film! I've watched it at least three times. It's a great romantic comedy. I also like the 'behind the scenes' bit too.
  • Stirling, I think the film was made quite a while before Murrey really hit the tennis scene, so that's probably just a coincidence.
  • Andy already had his sponsorships before he went professional in 2005. He won The US Open Juniors 2003 (where he was already sponsored by Fred Perry and Head.)
  • Maybe, but I don't think the writer of the film would have known that. The film was made in 2004, and I think the script was written quite a while before that. I'm sure lots of famous tennis players have made really good friends at tennis school. Andy Murrey can't be the only one.
  • Highly coincidental.

There is footage of Andy as a twelve year old on on the BBC Sport website. He's had a high media profile as the future of British tennis since 1999. Andy has known Nadal since he was ten, they get to know each other early on through the junior circuit.
  • It could be based on Murrey but the fact is that a lot of people who watched Wilmbledon would not have got the references to anyone who wasn't famous at the time the film came out. That's why they wanted John Mac and Chris Everett in it. Everyone has heard of them. Apparently they also wanted Sharapova in it too, but she was too similar in looks to Kirsten Dunst.
  • Maybe. Federer was just at the beginning of his brilliance in 2004. I wonder what these players would think if they sat down and watched the film?
  • Apparently the director and producers were really worried that Mac wouldn't like it. He'd told them that if he didn't think it was any good that he'd say so. They showed it to him and waited anxiously to hear what he thought of it, but he thought it was great. They must have been relieved.