Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Authors could miss out on PLR

edited May 2009 in - Reading
Because no one tells them about PLR....apparently.

http://www.thebookseller.com/news/86856-authors-could-miss-out-on-plr.html

Comments

• http://www.thebookseller.com/blogs/86858-use-it-or-lose-it.html

this is the guy who did lose it during the first year of publication.
  • Well I bet he's pig sick.
  • I never rely on anyone to tell me things, but find it out for myself. If others did the same, this wouldn't happen. It is about self responsbility.
  • I think it is writers who are less savvy about all that goes with it that miss out.
    I know someone who didn't register because her book wasn't in the local library- she didn't understand that just because it wasn't in her library it didn't mean it wasn't in other libraries.
    (This has just got me thinking a useful filler for our club magazine)
  • I wonder what happens to 'unclaimed' money.
  • I read about PLR in the Writer's and Artist's Handbook. I imagine 'unclaimed' falls into the same category as that over/under the limit and it increases the amount shared out between writers.
  • Unclaimed goes back into the fund for future distribution.
    The website has details for assigning plr, sorting out for those who have died etc.
    It is very comprehensive.
    You can check which libraries are being used for the current year and so on.
  • Thanks for that, didn't know about needing to register for PLR.
  • You may have to register separately for other countries - I'm thinking of the Republic of Ireland.
  • You would have thought that he would have been curious about library books earning money for writers. I had always assumed that authors got something if someone borrowed their book, and that was a long time before I started writing.
  • edited May 2009
    Thanks, Jay, I hadn't thought of that. My book is in some libraries overseas so I had better investigate.