Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Primary pupil tools guidance unveiled

edited May 2009 in - Reading
'cross-curricular learning'- wonder what that will do to children's books in future.

http://www.thebookseller.com/news/86876-primary-pupil-tools-guidance-unveiled.html

Comments

• I wouldn't worry too much, Carol. It might open the way for more whole books to be studied as part of a theme in place of extracts which are squeezed into a tightly controlled literacy programme.

The literacy scheme was well intentioned but it took the pleasure out of learning English for too many children. (I think this has been discussed quite a lot on TB.)The QCA played a significant role by providing lesson plans which many schools used wholesale. (With the government naming and shaming, setting tight targets, publishing league tables, sending in OFSTED etc it's logical that schools would play safe and use the officially approved schemes of work.) Now the wheel has turned and themed, cross curricular work is back. It opens the door for much more interesting lessons tailored to the children's needs. I hope so anyway.
  • I hope so too Howard.
    Some schools are better at moving onto new systems than others.
    Hopefully it will give writers scope in future projects.
  • You could be right....identify the most common themes being used for the different age groups and write stories to fit. Stick in a bit of science, history, maths etc and you could be on a winner!