Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Editor of the Philip Roth Society newsletter

edited June 2009 in - Writing Tales
I thought it was about time to announce a little success of mine. A few months ago I was asked if I would take over the editorship of the Philip Roth Society newsletter. (www.rothsociety.org). It's based in the US but has members worldwide. I've had one or two pieces published by them and, after getting over my initial shock, I agreed. Last month I produced my first newsletter for them, had it printed and delivered to Harvard University and it's now been received by it's members. It's been well received so I'm quite pleased at the moment. The newsletter also goes to the man himself which is a little daunting but I hope he thinks it's ok.

The society itself publishes a regular Journal of academic essays about Roth's work and a number of the members are highly regarded Roth scholars.

So, now it's on to the next newsletter, which I'm looking forward to now that my first has been successful.

Comments

• Congratulations Richard - I'd classify that as more than "a little success", that's an honour - well done! :)
  • That's amazing Richard. Well done! For me, he's right up there with the greats.
  • Well done Richard, that is very exciting.
  • Wow, that's brilliant, well done!
  • Congratulations!
  • outside of the 'who be he?' question, congratulations, RichardS!
  • He is rather famous, Dorothy. Pulitzer prize winner, multiple award winner for the past 50 years, on the nominations list for a Nobel every year.

Here's his Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Roth

Thanks to all for the congrats!
  • Richard - that's a great achievement! They must think very highly of your work.
  • Congrats RichardS - a great achievement.
  • ah that accounts for it, I tend not to look at Pulitzer price nominations and the like. I prefer more 'mundane' writers on the whole ... if you see what I mean. Nobel prize thingy as well, same thing applies. Must be me but mostly the stuff is unreadable so I don't try and read. But you've gone up many steps with this job and that's just wonderful. It will count for a lot in future submissions anywhere.
  • Ah, Dorothy, you don't know what you're missing, :-)

He can be an acquired taste for some but for a new reader I'd recommend 'The Plot against America'.
  • lots of people tell me that about this author and that, then when I try the work, I hate it. So ... stick with my inclinations, I think. If he is an 'acquired taste' I definitely don't want to know. After a long channelling session I want to relax with someone I know and trust, not someone who very likely will be hard work. Right now that is Nevil Shute.

Remember Rushdie's Midnight Children? I got to page 5. The librarian told me I had got further than anyone else who had taken it out. Massive book, loads of hype, to me, utter nonsense and obviously to all the others who took it out too.

My daughter has read Faulkner, f Scott Fitzgerald, Welty, Doerr and a load of others I have never heard of, she's even read Don Quixote, which she loved. Me, I want easier reading than that! The brain gets tired after working with spirit authors, even if they do write legible attention grabbing English.
  • [quote=dorothyd]Remember Rushdie's Midnight Children? I got to page 5. The librarian told me I had got further than anyone else who had taken it out.[/quote]

That really made me laugh, Dorothy!

Congratulations Richard, that is really something - especially as it goes to Roth as well!
  • Good grief - a little success? Hardly! This is wonderful, Richard, I'm deeply impressed.
  • Well done, that''s quite an accolade.
  • Well done, Richard. I love the work of Philip Roth.
  • Congratulations. Great to hear of another success.