Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

If I Ever Say I'm Doing A Publicity Stunt Like This, Shoot me!

edited June 2009 in - Reading
Please, it would be the kindest thing.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1190593/Stephen-King-previews-new-story--Bar-Refaelis-naked-body.html

Comments

• Um yeah. Interesting. But completly unethincal! (Is that the right word?)
  • Tacky!
  • Unethical? Ethnic means something completely different!

Screams desperation doesn't it? Has King's sales plummeted? If I dropped to tacky publicity stunts it probably means my publisher has already half kicked me through the door!
  • She is gorgeous...a side issue I know, but what a side issue. Leonardo Di Caprio does have a good eye for the ladies
  • And Leo is quite hot himself . . .
  • Yeah, I didn't think it was the right word. Damn. Expanding vocab is hard. Desperate is a tad better. :)
  • But I wonder whose idea it was. Maybe it was the magazine's idea and they approached King - he might have thought it was a laugh.

I always think Leo is one of those actors who will still look 11 when he's 90. Like Ian Beale (but better looking).
  • I bet they had no end of volunteers to do the writing.....
  • Plain English is always best (you can tell when someone has eaten a thesauraus for breakfast.)

Best way to expand your vocabulary is to read, and read.
  • Blimey, that's taking the written word a bit far.
  • It sounds creative to me. And it's tidier...far nicer than drowning in junk mail and newspapers and popup ads.
  • Hope it was washable ink...
  • Er....I'm lost for words.........
  • We have the gun ready, Stirling.
  • Didn't think much of the plot so far - less still of the shaky writing - to be expected I would imagine.
  • edited June 2009
    I must be in the minority here but I thought it was clever and different. The model looks good and it suits the theme of the book. It obviously wouldn't work if the text had been scrawled across Dawn French's body but then again, he might have fit in the whole first chapter. :D
  • :P
    Perhaps we get too many of these wacky publicity stunts on this side of the world and think, 'oh no, not another one!'.
  • It was paint according to the graphic designer. I still think it's a good idea for a publicity stunt. It is looking at a different way to advertise in the magazine market...if i look through a magazine, i'll skip straight past the glossy adverts for makeup or clothes, etc. But an image on the front cover of a magazine...well, you're still going to notice it, whether you buy the magazine or not.
  • But to me, I wouldn't read further even though it was Stephen King. The reason, why does it need a beautiful naked woman, isn't it good enough?
  • Probably because that's what the magazine is. Stephen King knows his readership quite well, so selected the magazine that could target the people he particularly wants to let know about the book, then the image needs to suit the nature of the magazine too. If it was a bit of writing on a bit of paper, it would not be nearly as effective.
  • Well it turned me off (no pun intended!) buying it.

It's crude (just like his writing!)

I'm a great believer in the writing talking for itself.
  • edited June 2009
    if writing talked for itself, would there not be more bookshops, and a bigger percentage of the population buying books, and a bigger PLR for authors?
  • Every book needs publicity no matter how popular the author. We can all only be so fortunate, eh?
  • I actually agree with IG. I think it is original and quite tongue in cheek. Nothing wrong with that sort of publicity stunt in my opinion I don't find it cheap or offensive. If it encourages people to read then that's great. If it increases sales of the magazine and then book then it was a very clever and effective stunt. Everyone pulls publicity stunts, it's the nature of today's media and the increase in competition. The time it gets too much is when it is offensive.
  • No because not everyone wants to spend their free time reading, and that is their choice. Some people would prefer playing sport; some just want to watch films; some would rather play musical instruments.

That is their preference. Some people just don't like reading. My sister doesn't, but that doesn't mean she isn't clever. Quite the opposite she spent five hours last night playing the piano and learning her theory (she's also applying for a degree in music performance.)
  • I liked it. Clever, different and better than many stunts I have seen. Someone had a good idea there. No way are his sales dropping off, this is just a new take on a publicity stunt and it's a clever one. She's very beautiful.
  • Stirling I agree that to read is a choice but I always find it difficult how many people say 'I don't read'. To me I am always devestated that they are cutting a whole amount of experience from their life.

It is not necessarily a matter of intelligence. To me it's more a matter of what you allow yourself to experience and in not reading you are cutting out of your life a method of challenging yourself, your opinions and expanding your knowledge.

Most people I speak to who do not read would like to read more or feel they should read more but just never get round to it.

I think reading can really add to a person and to me the more people that read or are encouraged to (by advertising campaigns or otherwise) then the more knowledgable and open-minded it allows us to be as a society.
  • That's a sad reflection if the publishing industry is going down the same route of crude publicity stunts as the film and music industries.

There is promotion, and there is publicity (the kind that Jordan/Katie Price courts.)
  • I don't see why we should try to push a certain past time on people. The reality is that some people just don't see books and reading the way we do. I'm sure my sister would say the more people encouraged to play a musical instrument then it too would be beneficial to society.
  • I think it's rather a good idea. Magazines are littered with half-naked women anyway. Now that annoys me that young women seem to think that the only way to get ahead is to get their kit off. Did anyone see the BBC3 programme with the kids presenter wondering if she should pursue that route to further her career? Interesting stuff, and I was so glad she didn't.
    Anyway, back to topic - the cover girl's a model - it's what she does. And it works. So I'm with IG and others on this.

Now who saw the film the Pillow Book? - now Ewan McGregor being written on - discuss. ;)
  • I wouldn't push reading onto people (pushing generally does not work and is intrusive) but I do think people who do not read are missing out. Just my opinion. There will always be a large number of the population who do not read, which I think is a shame but it's one of those things.

I think that it is good though to encourage people to experience past times etc that will benefit them. I learned to play the piano when I was younger and I would recommend it to people. By the same arguement though I am not into sports and they would probably benefit me if I was. But if an advertising campaign came along that gave me a bit of a kick up the arse to do my sports then I would welcome it.
  • I think it would have been more effective without the scribbled out mistake on her right leg - I would have expected better writing from a graphic designer. It looks like he lost control as he got further down the body!!!
  • She could have worn a tight fitting short dress with the words written on, and contorted her body into the required shape- it would still work.
    The nudity was just used to get more men to buy Esquire in my view.
  • [quote=Lou Treleaven]It looks like he lost control as he got further down the body!!! [/quote]

Hehehe - perhaps there was a reason for that, LT. :D
  • [quote=Lou Treleaven]It looks like he lost control as he got further down the body!!! [/quote]

I'm not surprised :) ! I'm with the 'I like it' brigade.
  • edited June 2009
    Sorry, IG. But I'm sure your comment wasn't there when I posted mine. Anyway, a clear case of great minds :) ... or dirty ones of course :) :).
  • I think I'm about to go all feminist . . .
  • Me too...
  • Just make sure you have a fire extinguisher hand if you start burning bras ;-)
  • I'm not THAT feminist!!! ;)
  • don't need to burn them, don't wear them! I don't ...
  • edited June 2009
    Heaven forbid I'd be so famous I could advertise my new book in Esquire, I'd be heartbroken that I was only worth enough to advertise in one of the most famous of magazines. After all writing isn't a business it's an art, that's why I refuse all payment for my work. I don't want to make any profit from my hard work, I just want to be respected as someone who turns down money and publicity.

And how dare he write on a woman!! Ink on skin, that would have never happened in my generation!! *shakes fist*

Well at least nobody but a community of writers is discussing, in depth, this 'shameless' publicity stunt.

If I ever become famous enough to carry out a publicity stunt like this...shake my hand!
  • Well, how bizarre. Funnily enough, I was reading King's 'On Writing' last night and there is some reference to having to come up with a story that wasn't entirely true, to give the journalist a line. You know how you fiction writers talk about 'over-writing'? Well, I've been in marketing for years and this qualifies, I think, as 'over-marketing'. Too much, my friend, too much. And I don't think it will sell more books.
  • I agree Ginger. Just an excuse to publish a nude photo of a woman for men to ogle and say 'but it's artistic' . . .

Okay when my book is published I want it scrawled over Rafael Nadal's body!
  • With you as the graphic designer!
  • At the end of the day it doesn't matter who has been an advocate for it or who has been against. It's done its job its made people talk about it.
  • You may be right, Lee, but surely the point of the exercise was to sell more books? And I just do not believe that it will.
  • The picture is on Esquire with a bit of his short story because the short story is within that months edition. Any other month would have had the same naked but with nothing showing lady upon the front. It is the first short story of King's to be in a magazine in years so instead of putting 'In this issue is Stephen King's New Short Story' in plain text down one side. They wrote it on the woman who would have been on the front anyway.
  • They were merely giving information as to what was inside their magazine in a different way. I'd buy it, must see if its on the English edition too.