Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Just a little thing (said the bishop to the actress)

edited June 2009 in - Writing Tales
I know a lot on here are experienced and published writers but I am sure you can remember the first time you saw your name in print. Well, that's just happened to me today. The issue of People's Friend (June 20th) came in the post with my story in. The title's changed and so as the name of one of the characters but I'm so pleased.

This was the day after my free Nanowrimo draft copy came and I'm pleased with that also. It will make it easier for me to work on the next draft. For those who don't know, if you achieved 50,000 words (no matter what quality) Createspace (really Amazon) offered to print out a copy of the novel. Good quality by the way. There were some discussions about ISBN numbers and whether it could be sent to a 'proper' publisher. In the end, I've given it a different title and know it needs extensive rewriting so wasn't too worried on that front.

Just needed to share this news as I feel I could burst. Tomorrow, I'll put the nose back to the grindstone.

Comments

• Well done, SusieM, great news. Good feeling, isn't it? I had my first pubished piece when I was 19, and it was so exciting for me.
  • That's grerat SuzieM, what a wonderful feeling - I'm still waiting for a copy of PF to drop through my letterbox, hope it won't be too long now.

Also got about six subs with them which I've nothing about yet - grrrr why does it take so long.
  • Great news SusieM. Well done.
  • Exciting stuff, SusieM!
  • Congratulations SusieM! Must remember to buy that issue.
  • Lovely news, SusieM. I will never forget the feeling when I looked at my first published article. It's wonderful isn't it? Congratulations.
  • I can't imagine what it must feel like to see an actual book in print. I'm still bouncing off the walls from a 70p magazine. I'm enjoying this little success before I think about trying to crack the second sale.

Thanks for all your good wishes.
  • Enjoy.
  • Great news, Susie - very well done.
  • Congratulations Susie - may it be the first of many successes! :)
  • Congratulations, SusieM.
  • Well done and congratulations, and what an achievement, 50, 000 words! One of my friends also did this, she is already a published children's novelist, but she finds it gets and keeps her going!
  • The thing is Liz, if it hadn't been for Nanowrimo I'd still be pratting about thinking about it, making notes and generally putting it off. At least now I've 70,000 to work with and knock into shape. And it was good fun.

Now I might pull my finger out this weekend and draft the erotica story (with the help of Dorothy's email) for the LoveHoney comp or a homely type story for a first try at Women's Weekly (thanks Ceka for the guidelines), Thanks everyone.
  • Great news well done!
  • Wonderful success!

:)
  • Many congratulations - well done - let's hope it's the first of many more
  • Well done!
  • Congratulations SusieM! That's brilliant!
  • That's so cool. (That poor bishop, by the way - how can he ever recover from that reputation?)
  • Just bought a copy of PF SusieM - what's your story called
  • Woo! Well done. That's another magazine I need to buy, then.
  • Well done SusieM
  • Hi Niddy

It's in the 20th June edition and it's called Don't Go Changing. I did call it Wife Swap but obviously that was a little too suggestive for PF.
  • will remember to get a copy SusieM - yes, I shuold imagine the title may notbe to their liking:)
  • Belated congratulations from me, SusieM. The People's Friend seems to have a particular liking for the work of TBers.
  • Well done Susie, it's great when you first see your name in print. May you see your name in prints lots of more times too.
  • Well done, SusieM and thanks for letting us know - I'll buy that one when it comes out - did they change much? The title and character names? Are you pleased with it! You'll have to buy another copy to keep forever!
  • They've changed very little, the title, Jen to Hayley (not sure why they felt they needed to do that) and put in extra paragraph breaks and the odd comma.

I'm very pleased with it, in fact I was over the moon, though the picture isn't quite how I imagined. Funny thing was, I said to my work colleagues, they've changed the main character's name to Bernard. When I looked at the original, that is what I'd called him. Have no recollection of using that name at all.
  • Hi, Susie, just read your story in PF - super, absolutely perfectly pitched for the market, well done!!
    Now for the next one ...
  • Thanks, Ceka, unfortunately I haven't been able to repeat the success but I have got two ready for Woman's Weekly. I'll give them a go and then can always try PF again.
  • Way to go SusieM! I need to get a copy of this weeks PF and all the others I am studying to write for, but I am more eager to read PF now as I 'know' the author!

I hope I can say I know how you feel one day. Good luck with your other submissions, and lets hope this is the beginning of a long relationship between you and PF!
  • Never give up! I've just had 2 back from WW. Tant Pis! NEXT!
  • How long did they take to get back to you, Ceka?
  • Congratulations, Susie. Really enjoyed the story. :-)
  • Four months - standard for them. That's why you should keep writing and writing in the meantime never wait about for a reply, you waste a lot of living-time doing that! If you build up your stock of baps on the bake (so to speak!), every month will see something either accepted or sent back. And the more you send out, by the law of averages, the more chance you have that something will be taken on. That last one was just right for PF, but don't expect WW or MW to want the same slant. I still can't get it right for everyone!
    NEXT!
  • Hi Susie - great story in PF, just the sort of thing they are looking for, hope you get another hit soon.

Still no word when mines going to be published or about any that I've subbed to them, got a couple more that I;m polishing up for them,so fingers crossed.
  • Keep polishin', Nids!
    They've got 3 of mine awaiting dates for their 'outing' - but they've rejected the last 2 I sent!!! I realy cannot say I've got them cracked at all!
    Fingers crossed, of course!
  • Just noticed this. Great news Susie. I've been looking at PF recently and am looking to do a piece for them. I know they can be a very difficult market so I'm pleased for you.
  • ceka - I just wish I'd here about the five I've subbed to them, first one dating back from January - I feel a query letter coming on:)
  • I'm really sure I thanked people with a thumbs up but they seemed to have disappeared. So once again, thanks for all the comments just in case I'm losing my marbles and didn't.
  • SusisM, I'm sure you did. The thumbsups have probably been kidnapped along with the thankyous
    Niddy - if you know the name of your editor, ring her direct. If you don't, letter is not unreasonable now. Usually the longer they're away the better, but 5 months - reasonable to contact them. Be friendly, be polite!
  • They always reply very quickly to me - with rejects! I'm sure the long wait must mean they're seriously considering your stories.
  • I had another back from them yesterday morning! That one had been away only 10 days! A DEFINITE no ... so, tough, get on with the next.
    Actually, I'm in competition mode at the moment, finding lots on SallyQuilford's site (a cracking blog, as good as HPRW's and full of Really Useful Info
  • thanks ceka, yes I have a contact name, will get in touch - I think they have trouble with my address, my post does go missing on occasion (I'm thinking of moving just to get acceptances:)) - bad luck with the reject I;m sure you'll find a home for it somewhere.

agree about SQ blog, very informative.

Phots - you'll crack PF one day