Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Beginning of a short story

edited June 2009 in - Writing Tales
Well, despite being in a bad mood this morning I did manage to make a bit of headway over lunch. I did begin a short story yesterday aimed at Woman's Weekly but I just wasn't able to get the order of events to work.

On my lunch I have left yesterday's temporarily to one side and started something different, still aimed at Woman's Weekly but with a much better plot and emotional core. I feel much better now :-)

I'll no doubt return to the other one, I'm just going to have to put more thought into how I can plot it better.

Comments

• Don't give up!
  • That's a good attitude to have Emma. Sometimes I start something, it doesn't work, I start something completely different and then return to the original story and find that I can carry on...writers work in mysterious ways!
  • it's a good deal to do with allowing the subconscious to work quietly away and then surfaces when you are ready, I think. Good one, Emma!
  • I agree with the others, however I don't suggest listening to me as I am yet to be published, so I must be doing something wrong!

However, I find I have the same problem with Plotting! That is why I haven't written a word for the short story competition yet and doing the research before I do the main plot.

Good luck with them both, don't forget to let us know if they are commissioned :)
  • Well that short story is all done and dusted and is now going out to Woman's Weekly :-)

I'm pleased that it does actually come from the heart this story so it's better than ones I've done in the past.

Fingers crossed!
  • Best of luck!
  • Good luck Emma, I've never had any luck with WW, have a few out with them at the moment and People's Friend (who have accepted one of mine) - the waiting is the worst bit - takes ages sometimes.
  • I have never had anything accepted before and only just started short stories again last month. Hopefully I have improved a lot since last time and I'm certainly a lot better at doing a bit of research!
  • I think you just have to stick at it and keep writing and subbing - I gave myself a year of subbing at least once a month I was lucky to have something accepted right at the end of the year although still waiting to see it in print - I'll keep my fingers crossed for you Emma
  • Good luck Emma. WW were my first sale twelve years ago, and I still write for them from time to time. Nice people, but a huge submissions pile and consequently a high rejection rate. They do pay well though! I waited around 4 months for their most recent response, so forget about it now and write something else.
  • Good luck, Emma!
    Four months (checks latest rejection!) yes, that's about right!
    And get on with the next and the next, send, write, rewrite, edit, send etc ad infinitum!