Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Anyone Else Remember Little Grey Rabbit?

edited June 2009 in - Reading
Probably the first books me and my sisters read.

Really excited that I've found a treasury of the stories I'm going to give my sister for Christmas. This all started because I'm buying my five year old niece a set of Beatrix Potter books!

Comments

• I remember Little Bear, but don't think that was Beatrix Potter!
  • Yes, of course, Stirling. We had plenty of Little Grey Rabbit stories as children. Not wildly exciting, but you know how childrens's books are: you accept whatever is read to you.

We had a set of children's encyclopedias, which we called 'The Volumes' (a little pretentiously). So much history, literature, science and all sorts. They must have dated from the 20s, judging by the photos of clothing and early motor cars.
  • I have a 'Sam Pig' story book, written by Alison Uttely, the author of Little Grey Rabbit. It was given to me by my favourite Aunty on my sixth birthday and was always my favourite book for that reason.
  • No one read Beatrix Potter to me nor Little White Rabbit. I can't remember either of my parents reading to me. They were not readers.
  • I have to say it was my Mam who made me a bookworm.
  • Yes, loved Little Grey Rabbit (one of my childhood favourites) and Beatrix Potter too. Still occasionally say 'don't throw me into the briar patch' as well... :)
  • You got me chasing off to the bookcase, Stirling ... and yes, my daughter's copy of The Little Grey Rabbit stories is still there, signed by her much loved grandfather in 1985. She was 11 then - it was a joke as Bunny (been with her since birth) went everywhere with her. She loved her Little Grey Rabbit book. Alongside it is The Velveteen Rabbit book... I doubt we will ever part with them.
  • My much loved children's book sits on the bookcase still - signed by my Mum Christmas 1949 - A Child's Garden of Verse by Robert Louis Stevenson
  • I don't think we had Little Grey Rabbit as children, but we definitely had quite a lot of the Beatrice Potter books. We had a special little Beatrice Potter mini bookcase to keep them in. I passed them on to my own children when they were little and we've still got them. A Child's Garden of Verse sounds very familiar too.
  • Stirling, I'm sitting here in a big cloud of nostalgia - I have a complete set of the Little Grey Rabbit books in my bookcase - my Grannie used to buy them for me and read them to me, and when I wanted to put on Little Grey Rabbit to the Rescue (book number 14 which was a proper scripted play with music etc) she made all the animals for me out of her hoarded scraps of millinery fabric and even took the brown pom-poms off her slippers and turned them into Milkman Hedgehog and Fuzzypeg, spotty kerchief, blue smock, every last detail - I still have them all in my memory box
  • Hated Beatrix Potter and still do... except for the drawings. Also Alice in Wonderland. Also The Water Babies. Yeeeuch!

But loved everything else. Except the prose bits in Rupert.
  • The Water Babies frightened me.
  • Aw, Smaug - that's such a greatmemory! I love that the pompoms from her slippers were Fuzzypeg and his dad! Lovely books, not too cutesy. I found them a little sad sometimes, in a yearning sort of way.
  • I agree with you Jay - the Water Babies was a bit 'dark' - I never quite understood it when I was young but I liked the two characters Mrs Do-as-you-would-be-done-by and Mrs Be-done-by-as-you-did. I can see now that perhaps it was a bit 'preachy'
  • edited June 2009
    The water babies was dark? How so? I can only just remember reading it, and only vaguely remember the film - real person goes under water to cartoon land - that's all.
  • It may have been the pictures that frightened me.
  • I recall the Water Babies being a bit dark, but it's been a long long time...
    Alice I love, even though he must have been tripping on something when he wrote it...
  • I suspect the copies of Grey Rabbit was an original from the sixties (when my eldest sister was little.)

The old animation of Wind In The Willows used to terrify me.
  • Waterbabies: In my book I recall pictures of children under the water which I didn't like - don't think it was cartoon land though.
  • http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/books/article-1194764/Was-Little-Grey-Rabbit-bunny-boiler--THE-PRIVATE-DIARIES-OF-ALISON-UTTLEY.html

An article in the Daily Mail.