Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Small successes - I think

edited June 2009 in - Writing Tales
Came back from a short break to find two pleasant surprises - I think. Firstly, I had attempted the proofreading task in WF where you have to introduce errors into a piece of published work for readers to proofread and my efforts have been rewarded by being chosen for the current issue. They even sent a contributor's copy.

Then I opened up my emails and found an editor of a European magazine had contacted me via my website regarding the photographs I have on there. I have only ever used photographs to illustrate my own articles, not as a separate entity so have no idea how to approach this. Is there a charge for paying overseas cheques into a bank for example and indeed what is a reasonable rate for use? Anyone had any experience of either?

Comments

• congratulations! Don't accept an overseas cheque, the charges are astronomical. I get customers to send International Money Orders. No idea how much to ask, though! Hope the photographers on here can help with that one.
  • Congratulations, Wordy. Don't know about charges either, but wanted to congratulate you.
    I used to pay Spanish cheques into my UK bank account without huge charges, but they take a while to clear - maybe ask your bank about their charges. As well as a money order, an electronic transfer would be another way, but my bank charges me £30 every time I transfer money to my Fiji account.
  • Can't help, sorry, but well done to you!
  • This may clarify something technically- though you may not want to charge these rates. (NUJ)

http://www.londonfreelance.org/feesguide/photo.html

You would need to check with your bank about costs.

IMPORTANT check what rights they are asking for...
  • Well done, Wordy! :)
  • Congratulations Wordy! Sorry, I'm not able to help either.
  • Cheques from overseas often get a straight 7.50 charge at most banks followed by "their" conversion rate, which may not be the best on the day. If you are dealing with hundreds of pounds this may be cool, if not then best to ask for payment in some other way. Note, a direct bank transfer from another country will also attract bank charges, again at my bank this is 7.50.

But well done on the double success.
  • Not entirely sure on charges - as I tend to under charge myself; with art and photography. I think, however, stock images and online libraries mid-price a single image can be bought for around £50-75, so you'd have to take them into considering.

As Carol pointed out, check the rights, as rates would be different and there's the retaining copyright etc.. Single use is what I'd assume they'd want; meaning they'll only use the photograph for one specific item and you retain the copyright, allowing you to use elsewhere as well.

No idea if that helped.

And congrats :)
  • Sorry I forget to add congratulations too Wordy.
  • Wow, I posted my message just before popping to the shops to stock up after our trip and come back to all these lovely messages. Thanks to one and all for both congrats and helpful advice.

To date most magazines I have written articles for have either paid one inclusive fee or have paid between £5 and £7.50 for a picture so I couldn't see this being cost effective if large banking fees were involved. Was not aware of the other methods mentioned so will check those out before replying to the editor. He mentioned using the picture for a cover. I think it is a somewhat niche market publication so probably not into NUJ rates. The point about rights is also an important one. Nothing is ever easy is it in the writing world.
  • Good luck with it, whatever happens.
  • Well done, Wordy!
  • Well done - great news.
  • Great news Wordy!
  • Great stuff, Wordy. :)
  • Hey, that's brilliant wordy, perhaps you should start selling them and have prices on the website... I think you can do it through Paypal without it being too expensive...
  • Well done Wordy. Could you ask to be paid into a Paypal account?
  • Thanks everyone. I don't have a Paypal account as the need has never arisen in the past. It seems there are a lot of options I need to consider -and fast!
  • Well done on both fronts. On the Paypal front, I've had an account for years and never had any bother. Not only used on Ebay but paid for things in the USA and Australia, quick and easily.
  • How very international! good for you, well done.
    (and I'm going to do your Edit thing later, just for fun!)
  • Congratulations, Wordy. Hope you get the cheque thing sorted.
  • Congratulations.

To check for what to charge, have a look at the NUJ rates to give you a rough idea. They vary according to circulation figures, size used and rates required.

When I've been paid for stories I've sold in Australia I've had the money paid directly into my bank account. My bank doesn't charge for this, but others might so it's best to check with your bank about the best way to recieve foreign payments.
  • Congratulations, Wordy! I set up a PayPal account - even I managed it without too much trouble - for a payment in US Dollars from a Canadian editor for a story published in an anthology. I've also had one lot of Sterling royalties paid in there, too. (There may have been a small charge for the US payment.)
  • Just an update. The editor has now agreed a fee so going ahead for use of the photograph he spotted on my website.

Quite a good day really as, following a recent trip, I realised I had loads of photos on one topic and thought they would illustrate an article. I contacted a local magazine with a suggested item and after asking to see samples of the pictures available they have asked for the article. Still only on spec as they do not know my work but I am happy with that.
  • Sounds like a good opportunity.
  • Good news.
  • congratulations!
  • Well done!!
  • Thought I would put a final update on the overseas photo saga. The fee was paid and photo sent and I recieved confirmation that it will be for single use on the back cover of their December issue and I will receive a copy of the magazine in the New Year so a few months to learn a bit of Spanish maybe! It will certainly be a talking point if nothing else.

The article I mentioned above was also accepted so need to get going on some new work whilst the feel-good factor is still in play. It was after all several months since anything else had made it past the draft stage.
  • this is good news!
  • Great to hear!
  • Good luck with the new stuff.
  • Well done - yes, get onto the new stuff while you're bubbling with success :)
  • Well done, Wordy - it's always nice to read of success - hope you manage to keep up the momentum. :)
  • Congratulations, Wordy. Great news.