Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Sleeping Dogs

fayfay
edited July 2009 in - Writing Tales
Thanks for all your great comments on Sleeping Dogs, which was published by Robert Hale on 29th May. I know some of you bought copies, so thanks a million for that. It is so difficult to sell hard back books at the moment every copy helps. If anyone bought a copy from Amazon, please write a review (a nice one if possible!) as I don't think I have a single review on there at the moment. Also, I would love to hear from anyone who has read it. It is available in most libraries, or can be ordered, so please let me know what you all thought of it, even if you didn't like it.
Fay

Comments

• Fay, thanks for the reminder. I bought a copy but haven't read it yet (sorry - I always have a pile of books to read...) - but I will put it on the top of the pile now!
  • Great title.
    And well done indeed (I don't think I've seen this before: what genre is it? Robert Hale used to do romantic paperbacks and don't now ...)
  • Sleeping Dogs is one of a series of crime thrillers about a forensic artist. You can read the synopsis on Amazon. I had to cut it quite a bit to fit Hale's word count, but I wasn't arguing at the time, as I was actually going to have a book in print! And I managed to get it on the shelves in my local Waterstones, which was quite something. I don't expect you all to buy it, but order it from your local library if you have the time, and let me know what you think of it. I am three-quarters of the way through the second book in the series and need some feed-back.
  • edited July 2009
    Details of Waterstone's branches who hold stock:

http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/displayStockAvailability.do?sku=6574148

Best of luck, Fay!

See thread
    Who stocks your books?
  • Dear Fay - great cover! Great hook, too, I would like to read it - but it's just a bit more than I'd pay for a book, but I'll see if little local library will hoink a copy in for me. I know it's not your decision, but why so expensive? Do people really pay this much for books!
    ;)
  • Congratulations, Fay. Hope you get some good and some useful reviews and feedback. No one ever writes reviews about my books on amazon either. But they come via other sources, so that's something. You say you got your book into your local Waterstones - didn't Robert Hale arrange any of that with booksellers' suppliers? It seems a bit mean that they left that to you.
  • Thanks to all of you. If only a few of you order from your local library, it will make a difference. Hale sell mostly to libraries, hence the hardback cover. They don't do paperback, which is a shame, and leave most of the publicity to their authors. They do get it on most of the major on-line websites, like Amazon, Smiths, Tesco, The Book Depository etc. but we have to do all the legwork ourselves. The cheapest I have seen it on-line is £11 something, but then you pay postage on top. Not ideal, I agree. But I got it published and a small (very small) advance as well. What I need now is some feedback to help me with the next book, so nag your local libraries, please.
  • Well done for getting published, Fay.
    I seem to remember M.Welshman was published with Hale and had similar issues regarding hardback/paperback and having to do his own publicity. Not my vision of how a publisher should work for their authors, but what do I know about novel publishing?
  • One of the members in our Writers' club publishes her romances with Robert Hale- she's having a book launch at her home next month for her latest book.
    Our late Vice President published with them for many years.
  • Fay, I have just read 'Sleeping Dogs' and thoroughly enjoyed it. Have given it 5 stars on Amazon - should appear in the next day or so.

Highly recommended.