Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

small dialogue breakthrough

edited July 2009 in - Writing Tales
Have you ever been struggling with dialogue and imagining a scene in your head and when you are actually writing and editting that scene, it all falls into place and the characters sort of tell you what they want to say/ what they are thinking?

Its a good feeling. : )

Comments

• Very often that does happen. Re-reading and editing your work is great, because you can sometimes see flaws that need adressing, particularly with dialogue. I think that happen to many of us, and yes, it's a very good feeling.
  • It's lovely when that happens, Jen, I agree. But have you experienced the opposite, where you want to write a crunch scene and have to 'make it count'? I usually brainstorm the points that have to be made on paper, then number them in order, and finally try to write it in the right mood. That can be VERY satisfying when it turns out right.
  • Yes, it is great when your characters work with you.
  • Brilliant Jen, I do love it when your characters have the life in them to help you :)
  • It can be a bit worrying when characters start talking amongst themselves, and when you try to bring them back into line, they say 'up yours' and refuse to talk at all.
  • Ah you don't do it that way- you choose one of them and call them away from the others- they soon toe the line, they hate someone else getting all the attention...:)
  • I've had to sit one group round a table and ask them what they thought should happen next, and one of them thought maybe she should just go mad and have done with it ... so that's what I wrote. I wonder why THAT one has never been published!