Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Third time lucky

edited September 2009 in - Writing Tales
Four years ago I sent an article to a regional magazine and prompty had it returned. The editor liked it, even asked to see more work, but I had included references to places outside the area covered by the magazine. Noting that I should research titles more thoroughly I sent him another article and it was published along with another one I sent later.

Early this year the editor sent me a sample copy out of the blue. I noted that the magazine was now at least distributed in the area I had mistakenly included so I queried if he would like to see it again and he requested it by return. That was February and all went quiet. Then in July two other magazines merged making them the ideal target for the piece. I thought I should query the first editor to check he wasn't interested and once more got an instant response - to submit the article yet again. By return I was asked to send the images I had to accompany the piece as he had a space in the September issue to fill.

This week I received a copy of the latest magazine with the article included. A rather long time in coming to print but it does show that it pays to keep trying - and not to discard any writing, too.

Comments

• Wow, well done Wordy! A lesson in perserverance if there ever was one!
  • Well done Wordy! Persistence Pays! And you're right, never chuck anything! What was the article - where could we get a sneak preview?
  • Congratulations, Wordy - well done.
  • The article was about Village Lock-ups, the cells that were built to house offenders before they were taken before the magistrate in the days before the Police Force. Four Shires magazine covers the counties around north Oxfordshire but I don't think they actually put articles on their website, just a contents list.
  • What an extraordinary subject to choose! 10/10 for originality!
    My friend owns one of those! It's called 'The Round House' and is now a storage block
  • I've actually taken photos of them all over the country, ceka, and they have all sorts of names such as guard house, blind house (because they often had no windows) and the cage. Round versions are quite unusual. Can you give me a clue to its location? It may be one I don't already know about. I have seen them put to some very interesting alternative uses including a bus shelter and a coal house.
  • Congrats!
  • congratulations! and all praise for your ingenuity in resubmitting!
  • Well done for persevering!
  • Well done Wordy.
    Wonder if Shire Books has ever done one on these lock-ups- might be worth looking at as a possible book.
  • Love those Shire books, Carol. Lock-ups is only one of many "oddities" we track down on our travels and we have quite a few of their titles which help in locating items. Lock-ups does not appear on their list of published titles but I must admit I have another area that I had considered I had more material for in their line. At present quite happy producing the articles but they do add up when you consider all the different areas of the country available.
  • Hope you look at this market Wordy- I'm sure your stuff has other sale potential.
    I have quite a few of the Shire Books, and their new website is great.
  • Yes, this is a good example of how to work as a non-fiction article writer. Well done and thanks, Wordy. I always try to ensure I keep absolutely every article I've written and your experience demonstrates why!
  • Thanks, Claudia. This piece survived two computer crashes and a new computer that never happily accepted items produced on the original.
    My back-up procedures are pretty haphazard so I can only conclude it was determined to make it into print!
  • Congratulations Wordy!
  • Well done wordy.
  • Just like to thank Ceka. She has taken some pictures for me of the lock-up she mentioned and has been able to send me copies. It certainly wasn't something I expected when posting but very welcome all the same.
  • good job wordy great to hear it! :-)
  • Well in Wordy!
    ;)
  • And I did it in about 10 minutes! And without needing Botophucket! Amazed!
  • Well done, Wordy - and what a fascinating subject matter.
  • Well done Wordy, good topic.
  • A great example of persistence and attention to detail paying off - you must be the village lock-up expert now, Wordy! Where can I get one to put my kids in?
  • No doubt your comment was made in jest, Lou, but there are tales suggesting sometimes children were gven a taste of the lock-up for misdemeanors.

Far from being an expert but these glimpses of our past do deserve recognition. There are estimated to be a couple of hundred around the country so there may well be one near most TBers. Some of them are real gems of architecture. A nice small structure to show off the builder's skill.