Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

I've been published!!!!

edited October 2009 in - Writing Tales
Yep. This week I have had a letter printed in the local rag (Staffordshire Newsletter). The topic was a local political hot potato, in response to an article published a fortnight ago. What REALLY pleased me was that there doesn't appear to be any editing. :D

Comments

• BRILL! Well done Lolli. Obviously coherent and to the piont.
  • Fantastic and well done.
  • Well done Lolli
  • WOW Brilliant! Not sure if I can get it round here. If I get chance will pop into Biddulph and have a look :D
  • It's on P12. Letter down left ahnd edge of page.
  • well done Lolli, really plesaed for .
  • Wonderful Lolli, well done. :)
  • Congratulations, Lolli - great news. :-)
  • Goodie goodie for you. Well done.
  • well done Lolli!
  • Congrats!
  • Great news! congratulations! :)
  • Well done!
  • Great stuff, Lolli! :)
  • Well done, Lolli!
  • Congrats!
  • Nice one, Lol!!!
    Very well done.
    :D
  • Well done, really thrilled for you, an inspiration to everyone on Talk Back. Keep up the good work as it is a starting point.
  • Great news, Lolli.
  • Great news.
  • Well done Lolli.
  • Well done Lolli, what was it about?
  • Well done Lolli!

Will it be/is it on their website at http://www.staffordshirenewsletter.co.uk/staffordshirenewsletter-letters ?
  • YEs Lily it is on their site , under the heading 'markings to blame'
  • Nice one! Right on!!!!
  • Sensible solutions well explained. :)
  • Congrats, Lolli!
  • Well done, Lolli!
  • Congratulations! (Did they spell your name correctly?)
  • Well done.
  • Yes, they did, Jay. I didn't realise it would be online though. Really chuffed about that.
  • Congratulations of getting your letter published, Lolli :)
  • Eh oop, lass, well done
  • I might have another published this week or next. I wrote about able bodied people using the disabled parking spaces at the hospital. The person who sends them forward for publication asked me to resubmit it, as thye'd lost the email, and also said that they might want to make a article out of it!
  • Sadly that is a problem in so many places, too, Lolli. Amazing how short a distance some able bodied people are prepared to walk.
  • Our local paper had a picture of a police car parked in a disabled bay - I think it was at a supermarket.
  • Methinks there is much abuse of the Blue Badge system ...
  • edited October 2009
    Been published again, with my blue badge letter, this week!

The link is here, if anyone wants to read it:

http://www.staffordshirenewsletter.co.uk/staffordshirenewsletter-letters/DisplayArticle.asp?ID=458121

Unfortuantely they edited one sentence, that gave details of the incorrectly parked cars and have made a nonsense of the one before (...there were two cars with stickers... should have read two cars without disabled badges)
  • That is a great letter and the edit made sense to me so don't worry. The thing with supermarkets is that they have private land for parking so can enforce their own laws. It is sad when you think that our health system is behind our shopping provider though.
  • Just read it: it's a problem all over the country, and as you say, worsening all the time.
  • Thank for you for that letter. For the past five weeks I've been driving my wife to Cambridge for radiotherapy. She has a blue because she has MS. Every day we've seen cars in disabled parking bays and we've often had to struggle parking in narrow bays. I have to get my wife and her chair out before I park. We've had enough stress without this hassle because of the selfishness of drivers. We've complained to the men on the barrriers but nothing changes. We are going to make a formal complaint to the hospital.
  • Good idea to complain Stan.
    Well done Lolli.
  • Well done on the letter Lolli.
  • Well done Lolli, just read it. I'm not surprised they changed that sentence... their version makes it sound as if only tow cars had badges which makes the whole incident sound worse.

They have published your address, with your name... do you mind that?
  • WE now know where to go for the next party.....
  • Stan, Complain to PALS at the hospital - they are quite good at sorting out problems. I complained about the same thing at another local hospital and we haven't had any problems there since.

Liz, No, I don't mind the name and address appearing in the paper, but I might ask them to remove it from the web. When they edited they removed the sentence that gave details of the two incorrectly parked cars. I suspect they manged to delete the end of my previous sentence, which made perfect sense until they added their own ending. Looking at my submission I am almost sure they just highlighted 3 lines instead of two and a half.

My original sentence read as follows: (lineage is as original)

Whilst my mother had a cigarette before we went into the hospital
    I went and looked at the cars in the disabled bays and found two
    that were not displaying disabled badges. (here followed the
    sentence that identified the cars by reg NO.)